Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Office Jet Pro
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When scanning documents with my HP Officejet Pro 8620 and using the flatbed scanner, it looks somewhat smeared. The print is clear but in the background, it has gray/blue shadows throughout the scan. This does NOT happen with the same document if using the ADF. I have examples of what this looks like but do not see a way to attach them.

I have done the following:

1. Cleaned the glass and the white cover - more than once

2. Did a reset of the printer

3. Cleaned the ADF pads

4. Checked for updates -- none available

Why would it look smeared one way and not the other since all the ADF does is to feed it to the flatbed glass? What else can I do? Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@MLMDJD

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Which Officejet printer do you have? Do the copies come out well from the scanner glass?

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The answers to your questions were all in my original posts. However, I will repeat them here. I have a HP Officejet Pro 8620. The scans from the scanner glass are the ones that do NOT come out correctly. The ones fed through the ADF come out fine. If there were a way to upload documents, I could show you the difference.

HP Recommended

Do the copies come out well from the scanner glass?

Change the scan settings with HP Printer Assistant.

1. Load the item on the scanner glass, in the document feeder slot, or in the automatic document feeder (ADF), depending on your printer type and features.

NOTE: 

Do not load photos in the ADF to prevent damage to the photos and the printer.

2. Search Windows for your printer model, then click the printer name in the list of results.

HP Printer Assistant opens.

3. Click Scan, then click Scan a Document or Photo.

HP Scan opens.

4. Click one of the shortcuts that matches the file type and resulting action you want.

5. Change any of the shortcut default settings in the right side of the window, if necessary.

NOTE: 

Available settings change depending on if you are scanning a document or photo. For example, the PDF File type is only available for document scans.

6. Select Show scan preview or Show Viewer After Scan to preview and make additional edits to the scan before saving it.

7. Click Advanced Settings or More to change settings such as quality, color, and default scan destination folder.

8. Click Scan.

The printer scans the item, then a preview of the scan displays in HP Scan.

9. If necessary, double-click the thumbnail image of the scanned item, then change any additional settings.

10. Click Save.

The Save as windows opens.

11. Select the folder you want to save the scan to, change the File name if necessary, confirm the file type in the Save as type menu, then click Save.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, this did not help. However, I do not have something called "Printer Assistant". Instead, it is called "HP Support Assistant" and from there I can use the "Print & Scan Doctor". I updated and ran this but it found no problems. Then, I scanned a document from the glass and it was no different. I still have these bluish-gray spots throughout the scan results.

HP Recommended

Do the copies come out well from the scanner glass?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm really confused as I said in my last post that the solution you posted and I did was not successful. The scans still do not come out right on the flatbed glass. So, I guess I am not sure why you are asking if they came out well. As I detailed in my prior post, they did not.

HP Recommended

Copies are different than scans 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My apologies. I didn't notice that you were referring to "copies", not scans. I rarely use the copy function but I just tried and it seemed to come out just fine. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@MLMDJD

Feel free contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.