Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet MFP M277dw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I'm frustrated by one year of attempts in setting up a "Scan to Network folder" feature of my LaserJet M277
I read tons of posts about similar issues, but none of the solutions seem to work for me.

OS is updated to its last release (macOS 10.15.2)
Printer software as well, through HP Easy Start - performed once again today, for the fifth time grrrr (see a snapshot of my printer's configuration below)
What I did:

- created a folder under my Username, with no spaces, no special characters (path: /Users/MyNickname/HPNetworkScans )
- went to "Get Info" of that folder and selected it as "Shared Folder"
- went to "System Preferences - Sharing" and checked positively that my Username has Read/Write privileges, and that the folder is SMB (checked through "Advanced options...")
- opened the printer's WebPage
- created several "Scan to Network folder" configurations, none of which is working
Specifically, I tried ALL the following configurations (where "192.168.1.xxx" is my Mac IP Address - tested positively; "MyNickname" is my Username; and "iMac-7.local" is my computers name):
\\192.168.1.xxx\Users\MyNickname\HPNetworkScans
\\192.168.1.xxx\HPNetworkScans
\\iMac-7.local\Users\MyNickname\HPNetworkScans
\\iMac-7.local\HPNetworkScans
//192.168.1.xxx/Users/MyNickname/HPNetworkScans
//192.168.1.xxx/HPNetworkScans
//iMac-7.local/Users/MyNickname/HPNetworkScans
//iMac-7.local/HPNetworkScans

... both with and without my Username and authentication password, which makes up to 16 different configurations !!!
None of which worked 😞
Here is the result that I obtain each time I do "Save and Test"
Screenshot 2020-01-22 18.51.27.png  

And here is my HP printer's configuration: 
Screenshot 2020-01-22 18.29.08.png

Last but not least, one example of one of my aforementioned configurations:

DanRomNS_0-1579718619505.png

Thank you for your support

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @DanRomNS

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Thank you for the detailed explanation. I'd be happy to assist you. Let us try these steps: 

Create a folder and right click it (CTRL+ Left click) and select Get Info, check the box next to Share folder.

Under the permissions section ensure your user account have read and write permissions.

From System Preferences select Sharing, ensure that File sharing is enabled and click the Edit / Options button.

Ensure the SMB option is checked and the user is listed and selected, add the user if required.

Now try adding the printer into the EWS page of the printer (The printer homepage, can be accessed by typing the printer URL into Safari) and under Scan select Network folder nd setup the folder using the user and password account.

Set the path as the computer IP and then the shared folder name (e.g. \\10.0.0.0\scan).

If the issue persists, kindly perform the steps mentioned in this document and try again.

For more info on settings up 'scan to network', refer to the FAQ section of this document.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, unfortunately I did not work.
I had already performed each and every step that you suggested, with the except of the "sudo" command on Terminal.
I confess that when I read it, I put a lot of expectations on it... but it did not work as well... 
I have doubts about how to put the Username and Password, because the suggestion on the EWS is quite confusing...
Is it like this:

DanRomNS_1-1580133580435.png

or like this ?

DanRomNS_3-1580133729177.png

In any case, I tested both ways, and none of them seem to work.
I'm a pretty good geek and I feel really frustrated that I cannot find a solution 😞

HP Recommended

Here's a guess - is it possible that the network folder you are trying to send the scan to is on a device set for SMB 2 or SMB 3, and your HP printer-scanner woks only with the very old SMB 1?

SMB 1 is unsafe, and many many sources (including Microsoft) recommend disabling SMB 1 and using only SMB 2 or 3.  But it may be that your HP scanner doesn't have SMB 2 or 3 in its firmware.

In my SOHO, I had to enable SMB 1 (unsafe) on our Win 10 Pro 64-bit PC in order to get our OfficeJet Pro 8500 and 8600 scan to a network (shared) folder on that PC.

It is astounding and abusive that HP is not updating firmware so that its printers-scanners can use SMB 2 or 3.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.