01-26-2020 05:50 PM
Quickbooks won't/can't recognize my scanner when I try to use TWAIN scan function. Tried reinstalling device and tried restarting device and PC. No success. Not sure where to turn.
01-29-2020 02:21 PM
@WVUgrad Welcome to HP Community!
I understand that you are getting TWAIN scan error OfficeJet 6975.
Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.
TWAIN is a Windows operating system component which helps you in scanning. I'd suggest you perform a clean install to get the printing working. Here are the steps:
· First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
· Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
· Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
· Restart your computer.
· Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
· Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
· Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
· Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
· Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (there is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
· Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
· Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
· Open run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.
· Now restart your computer again.
· Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
· Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
· Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
· Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.
· Click on https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/HPEasyStart_11_0_4498_30.exe and install the software.
· Connect the USB cable only when prompted.
Now try printing. If the printing works, then search in windows for "Windows Fax and Scan" and open the Fax and Scan. Click on the New Scan and try scanning using this app.
Keep us posted,
If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you,
Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post,
Have a great day!
02-08-2020 05:47 PM
Thank you. The link near the bottom of the message is a link to OfficeJet 8510, not 6970. Are you aware of this?
I wound up installing the software for the 8510 so had to go back and retrieve that for the 6970. In any event, the above process did not work. As of today, I've been able to scan from my OfficeJet 6975 into Quickbooks using WIA, but I still can't use TWAIN. I like the latter option, because it's quicker and more versatile. However, even though my Office Jet recognizes my PC (and vice versa) when I scan using WIA, my PC tells me that the scanner cannot be found when I try to scan using TWAIN. I have also noticed that my PC can't "find" my scanner when I try a test scan after running the HP Print & Scan Doctor. The "doctor" lists check marks that all the processes are OK, until it gets to the last one....when it offers me the option to run a test scan, but the PC just won't recognize the scanner. VERY frustrating. I have run out of options. I have spent literally HOURS on this, trying restarts of PC and OfficeJet, uninstalling and reinstalling software, researching various websites for ideas. But NOTHING seems to resolve this! Any further suggestions welcome.
02-10-2020 08:51 AM
Try one of these methods to scan:
HP Smart app (Windows 10): Search the Microsoft Store for HP Smart to find and install this app. For more information, go to Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10).
HP Scan and Capture app (Windows 10, 😎: Scan documents or photos from the printer or webcam. A full feature print driver must be installed on the computer. For more information, go to Using the HP Scan and Capture App (Windows 8 and 10).
Windows Scan app (Windows 10, 😎: Search the Microsoft Store for windows scan to find and install this app.
Microsoft Paint (All Windows versions): Search Windows for paint, and then open the Paint desktop app. Click File or the menu icon , and then click From scanner or camera.
Windows Fax and Scan (All Windows versions): Search Windows for fax to open the desktop app, and then click New Scan.
Webscan utility (network printers): Obtain the printer IP address and use it to open the printer's Embedded Web Server (EWS) in a web browser. On your printer's website, click Webscan on the Scan tab.
Let me know if this helps.
If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee