Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I installed this printer (USB, not wireless) about a month ago and was able to customize the icons on the shortcut screen to have the things that I do most.  Now it reverted back to the original shortcuts that were present when I first installed the printer, and it won't let me delete or create any shortcuts.  When I press on an icon on the touchscreen it will change colors to show that it's being pressed, but the bar at the bottom does not appear and it will not allow me to drag the icon anywhere. The touchscreen seems to be working normally otherwise, and all the functions of the printer seem to work.  Same thing from any screen (copy, scan, fax) -- it will show the icons and they change color if I press and hold, but I cannot drag them and no other functions appear like the bar at the bottom of the screen.  Is this printer defective? Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @GSMartin

I'd suggest a complete reset on your printer to try and fix the issue. I am sending you a private message with the steps. Please check the mailbox icon at the top right corner of your screen to access your inbox.

Thanks, I will watch for your reply!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @GSMartin – Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome back to the HP Forums, I'd be happy to help you with your printer issue.

I see that you are facing issues while creating the shortcuts on your Officejet 8710 printer screen. I’d suggest you update the printer firmware to try and fix this issue.

Go to http://hp.care/2nBqx6H to download and update the printer firmware. Restart the printer and check for issue resolution.

If the issue persists, try performing a power drain on the printer. Here are the steps:

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you.  I had already updated the firmware, hoping that would help.  It did not.  I followed the steps for disconnecting the printer power and USB cables and restarting.  That did not change anything either.  The standard icons still remain on the printer and when I follow the steps to delete one or add a new one it does not work.  Please advise.

HP Recommended

Hello, @GSMartin

I'd suggest a complete reset on your printer to try and fix the issue. I am sending you a private message with the steps. Please check the mailbox icon at the top right corner of your screen to access your inbox.

Thanks, I will watch for your reply!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you -- a "partial reset" of the printer resolved the problem. 

I don't understand what caused it and hope it will not recur.

HP Recommended

Sorry - this is not solved after all.  WHen I turned off the printer and turned it back on, all the saved shortcuts are gone and the printer is back to the default shortcuts.  If I cannot turn off the printer then creating the shortcuts is useless and the printer overall is cumbersome to use.  Please advise.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.