Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I'm trying to scan a drawing and print it on an actual size. However, everytime I print after I scan it, it's always printing in a smaller scale. The scanner does not have an option to scan to original size. I tried to pick the right paper size too while printing but it still print on smaller size, not the original size that I wanted.

Please help.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@daulia

Scan the image

Save as = photo (image) or document

Page Size (for items placed on the scan glass) = Entire Scan Area

The wording varies depending on the program you are using.

Example: HP Scan (printer software)

Printer_Assistant_Scan_to_JPG_1.JPG

HP Scan Extended includes an "auto detect" feature that is particularly nice for grabbing photo image(s) from the glass.  The "auto" feature scans the photo at the size detected.

To take full advantage of this feature, do set the Page Size to "Auto Detect SizeHP_Scan_Extended_Shortcut_1.JPG".

HP_Scan_Extended_Shortcut_1A.JPG

Reference

Dragon Document – Collection of Help, suggestions, links to how-to videos, and examples: 

Scanning Program Options

Topics / Sections – various, including:

• Know and Understand Scan DPI / Scan Resolution options
  • HP Scan Extended – Exceptional standalone free scan program:  Single, Multiple scans, image and PDF scans, Auto-Crop!
  • NAPS2-- Not another PDF Scanner – free standalone program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s)
  • Printer Software (Full Feature Software > Printer Assistant > Print, Scan & Fax > Scan a Document or Photo)
  • HP Scan and Capture from Windows Store
  • And others…

Printing your scanned image

Once the image is scanned and saved on the computer, you can print the image at 100%.  This is the "Scale", that is, the size of the image when it is transferred to paper.

The paper must be the correct shape and size to accomplish true scale printing, of course.  Size and shape of the image is the aspect ratio of the image as compared to the size and shape of the paper on which you wish to print the image.  For example, a square image can be printed on rectangle paper -- but you will have "borders" where the shape of the image does not match the shape of the paper.

HP Photo Creations can be used to print your photo at size.  The software is free, easy-to-use, (once installed) provides how-to help, and even a support staff to help you with your print-at-home projects.

Paint can also print your image at 100%.  Paint has been around forever.

Reference

Dragon Document – Collection of Help, Suggestions, and Examples:

Print - Programs_and_Methods

Topics / Sections – various, including:

• Preparation
  • HP Photo Creations for Windows and Mac
    • Example 3 - Photo Creations – Passport Photos
  • Printing with Paint
    • What is 100%
    • Print Photo at Desired Size
    • Example – Hawk photo 5 - Scaling - “Adjust to” 100% - Passport Photos
  • Printing Photos with Windows Photo Viewer for Windows
  • Considering Aspect Ratio

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Yes, I did pick the scan size = Entire Scan Area and it still scale down the image when I printed.

I dont think my printer/ scanner has the "auto detect" feature.

HP Recommended

@daulia

@daulia wrote:

Yes, I did pick the scan size = Entire Scan Area and it still scale down the image when I printed.

I dont think my printer/ scanner has the "auto detect" feature.

I don't have an answer -- I should think a scan is a scan and that the results would not "shrink" when the image is saved to the computer.

So...

The "shrink" is happening during the print process.

Assuming the paper size is big enough for the image AND that the paper is the right shape for the Image, then any "shrinkage" would be due to the addition of the white border around the edge of the image. 

The little white border is required for paper / settings / printer when not using the "borderless" setting. 

"Borderless" is not available in every printer -- some printers require the tiny margin around a printed image.

The "auto detect" feature is in the software:

HP Scan Extended

Yes, it is true that some printers / scanners may fail to make full use of all features in any given software.

"Auto-detect" would likely not help you in any meaningful way -- apparently the image is shrinking when you are printing the saved image onto the paper.

I don't have any additional ideas - there are several method and programs available (as mentioned in previous post)... should I think of something to add, I will post back.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I tried and scanned the image with a different scanner that I have used previously. The result is the same, the image is scaled down a bit, not the actual size. So, it's the printing issue.

I had used the old scanner with Window 7 in the past & worked just fine. Now, after I upgraded to Window 10, it will not print the actual size. 

HP Recommended

me too. hp 5520, hp 3833. 101% scanning A4, 99% scanning the whole area. incredible... so it's a real bug.

HP Recommended

I realize this is an older thread, but if it helps anybody it will be worth it.

Its definitely a Windows thing.  For some reason the printer driver compresses image files. 

Test it out.  Make a 4" black box dead center on a 8.5x11 white background document in Photoshop, save as jpeg, then right-click print from the desktop. 

It will print out as 3 7/8" square.  (if you print from Photoshop, it should be okay...I believe they may have overridden the driver to print correctly.  However, when I first noticed this, I could not print correct dimensions through Photoshop either.  I called them and we talked...for a long time.  Maybe enough ppl called and they fixed it.)

A way to override this for the meantime, is to right click on your jpg file and if you have Adobe Acrobat, hit either "convert to Adobe PDF" or "combine files in Acrobat", save as a PDF.  Then, to print, open the PDF, hit "print" and make sure to choose "print actual size".  This is the only work-around, beside printing straight from Photoshop that I have found.

I've consulted with Adobe, Brother and Canon...its a Windows thing.

Why this isn't a bigger deal than it is, is beyond me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.