Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (250 Views)

Unalbe to scan to email error message: ' Protocol error this server is not supported'

Product Name: HP8600
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and older

I change to smtp outgoing mail  in the HP setup utility for scan to email, with no success.

error: Protocol error the server is not supported, which appears on the printer and

testing from within the HP setup utility the error message is: The device could not send the test e-mail message.

Click "OK" to go back.

I'm using a MacBook Pro

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 4 (229 Views)

Re: Unalbe to scan to email error message: ' Protocol error this server is not supported'

Hi! @CarolynMT, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you have scan to email issues with your printer.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

As you mentioned when you try to scan to email from your printer you are getting a server connection error on your MAC PC.

Try updating the email address and password in EWS page. Also, update the MAC OSX to the latest version.

On the printer control panel go to Network>Set up > Network set up > Network services > IPV6 > Off

Set up > Network set up > Link speed > 100TX Full

Please try assigning a google DNS to your printer and check if the issue persists.

Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.

Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.

First, head into the System Preferences, then click on the Network icon.

Then, select your network card on the left—in most cases, this will be Wi-Fi at the top of the list—and then click the Advanced button near the bottom right corner.

Once you’re there, switch over to the DNS tab, and you can start adding in DNS entries into the list. If you see entries that are grayed out, just ignore them, and click the + symbol at the bottom to add new ones.

If you want to use Google’s DNS servers, you can add the following two items to the list:

Click OK and your Mac will be using the new DNS servers.

For Gmail you may want to test with the 465 port as well 

For Hotmail, you want to use smtp.live.com  port 25 or 465 

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

1. Select Web Services on the front panel., then Settings.
2. Select 'remove web services' and wait for the services to be eliminated.
3. Once this is complete, you will return to the home page.
4. Select the Web Services icon on the printer and go through the steps to setup Web Services once again.
5. You will be provided a more recent code. Later on, you can utilize this code to add the printer to your eprintcenter.com/ hpconnected.com account utilizing this code.
6. You may or may not be required to create a different email address.
7. Try another scan to email utilizing the app.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!
Have a great day ahead! :)

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (214 Views)

Re: Unalbe to scan to email error message: ' Protocol error this server is not supported'

Hello,

The solution didn't work. I using a MacBook Pro and the prnter is a HP Officejet 8600 Plus.  I attempted to following as much as possible but still no go.  This worked a few weeks ago and there has not been any changes on the printer.

The error message on the printer is "Protocol error The server is not supported" and when using EWS - test feature I also get I the error "Protocol not supported. 

I turned off router and printer.  Turn on router, then printer. Still not working.

CarolynMT

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 4 (201 Views)

@CarolynMT, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Try restoring the printer settings to default and try setting up the scan to email feature again and check if it helps.

To reset the printer's network settings
1. Touch (right arrow), touch Setup, and then touch Network. Touch Restore
Network Defaults, and then select Yes. A message appears stating that the
network defaults have been restored.
2. Touch (right arrow), touch Setup, select Reports, and then select Print
Network Configuration Page to print the network configuration page and verify
that the network settings have been reset

Try the steps recommended below to scan to email from your printer.

Depending on your printer model and email application, you can automatically attach a scan to an email with options on the printer control panel or with the Image Capture app on the Mac.

1. Confirm the following requirements for the scan to email feature. If you do not meet these requirements, you can manually attach the file to an email message by saving the scan to a folder on the computer.

• In most cases, scan to email works only when a local email client such as Apple Mail is installed and setup on the computer.

• Web-based email accounts (Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail) must be configured through your local email client to scan to them. Check your local email support site for additional information.

2. Start the scan, depending on your printer type.

• Printers with touchscreen or LCD menu control panels: From the Scan menu on the printer, select your computer name, and then select Email as PDF or Email as JPEG A new email message automatically opens on the computer.

Additionally, some Web-enabled HP printers have a Scan to Email app in the Apps menu that sends emails directly from the printer using your printer's ePrint email address.

• Printers with buttons only or printers without scan to email menu options: Continue to the next step to start the scan from the computer.

3. Open Finder , click Go in the top menu bar, click Applications, and then double-click Image Capture.

Figure : Apple Image Capture

Apple Image Capture
  4. Click your printer name in the Devices or Shared list, and then click Show Details at the bottom of the screen, if necessary.

After the preview of the scan displays, change the following settings:

• Scan Mode: Select the scanning bed or automatic document feeder, depending on where you loaded the original on the printer.

• Scan to: Select Mail.

• Name: Type a name for the scan file so that the email recipient knows what the attachment is.

• Format: Select the file type for the scan. When you select the PDF or TIFF format, the Combine into single document feature is available to save multiple page documents or multiple images into a single file.

5. Click Scan.

A new email message automatically opens with the scan attached.

Also, if the issue still persists after trying out the steps try using a different email client and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about how to scan to email on your printer. Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8600-e-all-in-one-printer-series-n911/4322914/...

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! :)

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation