Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6958
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On my previous printer (HP Envy 7640E) when I copied something in the settings there were sliding

scale adjustments for the darkness or lightness. On my new printer HP 6958 the adjustment shows in the middle of the bar is normal, to the right is darker and to the left is lighter. When I try to slide the marker to the lighter setting it just goes all the way to the lightest setting. There is no stopping it for a setting inbetween.  I copy a lot of grayscale coloring pages onto card stock. I need to be able to lighten the copy a small amount but I can't get a setting for that. I would appreciate (as always) any help with this. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Carlene1

Thanks for the reply,

It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

Use the Copy menu on the printer control panel to select copy settings and start the copy job.

1. From the Home screen on the printer control panel, touch Copy.

2. Swipe to the desired number of copies, or touch the keypad, and then input a number.

3. Touch the Settings icon , and then specify any advanced copy settings:

• 2-Sided: Toggle 2-sided copying on or off.

• Resize: Touch a preset. You can also touch Custom, input a value between 25 and 400 percent to reduce or enlarge the copy, and then touch Done.

• Lighter/Darker: Slide the button to lighten or darken the image, and then touch Done.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Carlene1

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you unable to adjust the darkness of the copy.

• Are you try to adjust the darkness from the printer display?

If yes, perform a power reset

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector and printer.
  6. Turn on the printer.

Update the printer firmware

Refer this HP document to update the printer firmware:- Click here

Let me know if that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes I am adjusting from the printer display. All the other steps you recommend I have already performed and they didn't make any difference. I also have completely uninstalled and reinstalled my printer. I don't think I clearly stated the problem. If I want to lighten a copy using the printer display there are only three settings that show on the sliding bar. Normal, Darker and Lighter. I need to make an adjustment that would go between the normal and the lighter settings. On my old printer the adjustments were numbered like 1-2-3. I would be able to slide the marker to the number 1 setting to lighten the copy. On this printer that does not work. Is this the way this printer was made? I would think that since this is a newer model that if anything that adjustment would still be there, if not even better. I appreciate your help. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Carlene1

Thanks for the reply,

It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

Use the Copy menu on the printer control panel to select copy settings and start the copy job.

1. From the Home screen on the printer control panel, touch Copy.

2. Swipe to the desired number of copies, or touch the keypad, and then input a number.

3. Touch the Settings icon , and then specify any advanced copy settings:

• 2-Sided: Toggle 2-sided copying on or off.

• Resize: Touch a preset. You can also touch Custom, input a value between 25 and 400 percent to reduce or enlarge the copy, and then touch Done.

• Lighter/Darker: Slide the button to lighten or darken the image, and then touch Done.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.