Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 Plus
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So today I went to use the scanner part of my Officejet Pro 8600 Plus for the first time since the last software update - which I didn't even know had occurred because it's all set to do stuff like that automatically. The look and feel is TOTALLY different, which I'm never happy about. But imagine my surprise to discover the actual capacity of my hardware has been downgraded by my new inability to access it with the new software!

For some projects, I scan things at 600 dpi in "photo" mode, even though they're not photos (I want them as JPEGS, not PDFs - the old software used to automatically convert to pdf if you chose "document"). OK, so that last bit is apparently no longer true, but either way - in document OR photo mode, by current limit is 300 dpi.

Now either you were always lying to me before and my scanner couldn't really scan in 600 dpi resolution, even though it would say it was doing so (and seemed to be doing so when I opened them up and looked at them) or you have now taken that ability away from me and I can no longer do so, even though I'm still using the SAME HARDWARE.

Is there a way to uninstall this update? I am very unhappy about this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yep, your software or driver is blown.

Install the Full Featured Software and drivers here.   Now try.

Type:

Driver-Product Installation Software

Version:

Operating systems:

Windows 10 (64-bit)

Release date:

Nov 13, 2015

File name:

Description:

The full solution software includes everything you need to install and use your HP printer. This collection of software includes the complete set of drivers, installer and optional software.

Fix and enhancements:

• Added support for Windows 10
  • Most current version of the software includes all previous fixes and enhancements.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Scanning issues…

Please try this scan solution:

HP Scan Extended

For Windows:   ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Make searchable PDF scans with this free scanning software -   https://www.naps2.com/

Let us know.

HP Recommended

When I tried that I got an error message saying "The HP Imaging device was not found"

HP Recommended

Hold up. I just tried RIGHT clicking on it and choosing "Run as an Administrator" and it started to do something but then got a different error message about the device being in use by another user (in this case I think me as a user, and even though I X-ed out of it I suspect it didn't fully close). Going to reboot and try again

HP Recommended

Yep, your software or driver is blown.

Install the Full Featured Software and drivers here.   Now try.

Type:

Driver-Product Installation Software

Version:

Operating systems:

Windows 10 (64-bit)

Release date:

Nov 13, 2015

File name:

Description:

The full solution software includes everything you need to install and use your HP printer. This collection of software includes the complete set of drivers, installer and optional software.

Fix and enhancements:

• Added support for Windows 10
  • Most current version of the software includes all previous fixes and enhancements.
HP Recommended

So I completely re-installed my printer software. I ran HP Scan Extended as an Administrator, got it to load and open, and I was feeling pretty good, sure that all my problems would be solved. 

Except my resolution choices were still 75, 100, 200 and 300. Aaargh!

So I started playing around with it. Turned out, some of it had to do with the defaults on the "first" page (the tab that opens when you first pull up the program). The "scan" tab. Once I played around with THOSE settings first before going over to the IMAGE tab, I discovered that by choosing "photo" and "flatbed" and "entire scan arean" now when I opened up 
"image" I had a WHOLE NEW SET of options under resolution (which I see it calls "ppi" not "dpi" - of course, the SCANNING resolution is in pixels, it's the PRINTING resolution that's in dots).

It's giving me the option to go up to 4800!! Is that even real?!?! (I don't really remember the top level I used to have, and even if I was to scan some 35-mm negatives I'm not sure I'd ever need to go up that high, but that sounds pretty sweet).

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hmmm. If I'd realized I could only click one I actually would have clicked the first one as the solution. The REAL solution to my problem was the Extended Scan software. But I had to reload the BASIC software before I could even get that to work!

Thanks again. I'm VERY happy! (You don't have a happy dance emoticon available or I'd drop it in here)

HP Recommended

Officejet new dpi limits.Windows 10 64x.

The Scan Extend downloaad did not work

Greg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.