Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Office Jet Pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

There used to be an option to save scans as PDF's but that has disappeared.  How can I get it back?

I've tried the Print and Scan Doctor, but that didn't help.

The "virtual agent" suggested a way to do this but I didn't understand the answer and there was no way to say "please explain this differently".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try using the HP Smart App: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@trevor34smith

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,  Thanks for trying to help me but I'm afraid your suggestion failed at point 3. 

I clicked to uninstall the printer but I shortly received a long error message.  I could not copy and paste it.  Instead, I wrote it down and here is what it said:  Call to Driver Package Uninstall returned error 5 for package 'C:\\Windows\System32\Drive Store\File repository\hpwia_oj6970inf_amd64_8f73f7c74b2221\hpwia_oj6970inf': A caller of Driver Package Instal must be a member of the Administration group to instal a driver package.

The Printer was then still in the list of programmes.

This is my desktop computer at home (It's an HP Computer), so if there is an Administrator it can only be me.

Do you have any further suggestions?

Regards,  Trevor

HP Recommended

Restart your Computer and Printer and retry the steps.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

Sorry for the delay in my reply.

I turned the printer off and on again, and I also shut down the computer and restarted it and ran through to uninstall the Printer, bit it produced the same result I'm afraid.

Any other ideas, please?

Best Regards,  Trevor

HP Recommended

Ok are you able to do a simple uninstall of the software? Also, if you have any other Computer, are you able to save scans as PDF there?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Uninstallation:  I have gone to Control Panel then Uninstall a Program and selected "HP Office Jet Pro 6970 Basic Device Software" and then opted to uninstall.  This failed with the same error message as previously.

Another Computer:  I went to scan something.  My computer is no longer listed on the screen when the printer, effectively says "What do you want to do with the scan", so I sent it to my wife's computer which is also set up to use the 6970.  My wife's computer opened the scan using Adobe Acrobat Reader, and it would have been able to save that scan.

Now that I've done that I think it is possible that my computer used to open scans sent to it with Acrobat Reader, but that's not the programme that has been opening them recently.

Do you have any more suggestions?

Trevor

HP Recommended

Yes, PDF is Adobe Acrobat Reader itself. Please open the saved scans using that.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

You'll note that in my previous reply I said that my computer was no longer listed in the Scan options.  So it would seem that the Software had been uninstalled even though my computer had told me that it couldn't do that.

So I've reinstalled the software and done another scan.

I have realised that the programme that is opening - which doesn't allow scans to be saved as PDF's -  is actually Windows Fax and Scan.

This might be outside of what you can advise on, but how do I turn off  Windows Fax and Scan, so that my scans open in Acrobat?

Trevor

HP Recommended

Simply right click on your scan and select open with and select Acrobat Reader.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.