Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On 10/15/2020 an automatic Windows 10 Update occurred to my PC.  On 10/16/2020 when using the HP Printer Assist software for my Officejet Pro 6830 to open the scan dialog I received the following message "Unable to Communicate with the Scanner."  Next, I received the following error message when using the HP Scan Doctor 5.4.1to troubleshoot issue "DRIVER ERROR The scan driver is unable to communicate with the product."  Per troubleshooting instructions, I unplugged printer and powered printer back up and then restarted the PC (I performed this 2X and this did not resolve the issue).  I then uninstalled the Officejet Pro 6830 software and did a new software install via the HP Scan Doctor 5.4.1.  Upon doing so the the HP Printer Assist software opened and allowed me to perform a scan successfully.  A couple of hours later I went back to the HP Printer Assist software to perform another scan and once again received the following error message "DRIVER ERROR The scan driver is unable to communicate with the product."  

Following up...I discovered that when I unplugged the Officejet Pro 6830 and powered it back on and then restarted the PC upon checking in the Windows 10 Device Manager when right clicking on "Printers"  the HP Officejet Pro 6830 icon is displayed  and in the General Tab the following is displayed "Device Status This device is working properly".  Then when I open the HP Printer Assist software and click on the scanner icon to open the scanner dialog I again receive the error message "Unable to Communicate with the Scanner."  When then going back to the Windows 10 Device Manager when right clicking on "printers"  the HP Officejet Pro 6830 icon is no longer displayed ?

Any suggestions as to how to correct this issue would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@sampap Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that Windows 10 Officejet Pro 6830 DRIVER ERROR.

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

· Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.  

· Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.  

· Restart your computer.  

· Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.  

· Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.  

· Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".   

· Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.  

· Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.  

· Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.  

· Again, go running window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.  

· Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.  

· Now restart your computer again.  

· Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.  

· Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.  

· Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.  

· Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well  

· Windows image acquisition stop and restart the service  

Reinstall the drivers from Software and drivers page

And also set a manual ip

To set a manual IP and try the steps below ( with control panel)

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address

--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP

--->then go to network ---> general ---> network protocols ---> select IPV4 only-->apply

--->go to wireless ---> wireless 802.11---> select manual ip ---> apply

--->Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. 

--->then go to settings on the main ews page --> power management ---> select sleep mode to max 15min

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Following the instructions provided on 10-19-2020 from Praveen 196, I was unsuccessful in correcting the problem as follows:

Pop Up Box ... "Network Installation by IP Address" ... "The printer is on your network but the software is unable to find it using the typical network discovery method.  You can install the printer and operate it normally over the network using the IP Address of the printer." ... "IMPORTANT: If you install the printer this way and the IP Address of the printer changes in the future, you will need to manually update the HP Printer Software using the Update IP Address located in the entry for this printer in your start menu."  Additionally ... "Optional Firewall Trouble Shooting"... that suggests turning off any firewall software and retrying which I did but did not correct the issue.

NOTE: I went ahead and installed the printer per the pop up option and when I got to the activation online step I received the following error message "No internet connection detected."  I chose the "EXIT" application process and as instructed to do at a later date to complete online setup using the provided web address "https://www.HP.com/ePrint/HPOfficeJetPro6830" received the following error message on the HP webpage displayed "Oops! we can't find that page, but here's the good news - we've got other ways to find what you need."

HP Recommended

@sampap

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you conatct our phone support and check for the option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I am having the same exact issue with my Officejet Pro 6830.  Scanning worked perfectly until I tried to use it today.  I tried using the Print & Scan Doctor, and it failed at Driver Check.  I then downloaded and reinstalled the printer se and drivers (which was the same as the version that I was running).  Print and Scan Doctor passed Driver Check this time, and my test scan from within Print & Scan Doctor was successful.  But trying to do a scan from the small screen on the printer still doesn't work.  I'm guessing it's a Windows 10 issue.  I noticed that Sampap (the OP) posted this issue on a Microsoft forum also, but so far just crickets.

HP Recommended

Praveen196's suggestion to contact support by phone does not work.  Following the link he provides does NOT result in a phone number or chat option.  The only option provided is to return to this forum in hopes that some kind stranger who has had and fixed the same problem can help you out.  Pretty lousy customer support from a big company like HP.  Very disappointing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.