Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a new PC with 7 installed (no option!) and find that the installer CD fails with Error 1904. C:\....\Scanjet\hpgwiamd.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147024770.

How can I get a some installer software that works for Windows 7?

Thanks

51 REPLIES 51
HP Recommended

I get the same error except this is for a scanjet 3670, also for Windows 7, 64-bit

The complete error messages is:

Error 1904. Module C:\\Windows\SysWOW64\hpgwiamd.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147024770. Contact your support personnel.

This error comes during installation and the only "workable" option is ignore but once the installation ends the HP Director can't open and I get the message

"This program has known compatibility issues

Check online to see if solutions are available from the Microsoft website.If solutions are found, Windows will automatically display a website that lists steps you can take.

Program: HP Image Zone
Publisher: Hewlett-Packard
Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\Hpqdirec.exe

Hp ImageZone is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information, contact Hewlett-Packard."

I have not found any solution either, I'd appreciate if someone can help

HP Recommended

I too am in the same boat.

I have a new PC with windows7 64bit installed. I need a driver for my Scanjet 4470c scanner. I had the same trouble with my HP p-1000 printer for which there was an alternative driver for a different printer.

Is there a similar solution here? :Surprise:

HP Recommended

Yes here as well (Same or simular problems).

Went to install on new Intel I5 system with (Windows 7 Professional x64) and got same errors. Went online to HP Support site no Windows-7 info listed for Scanjet 4470c. This scanner used to be on one of our older PC's which had Win2000 Professional, tried downloading and installing Windows XP driver/software no luck same problems as you are all experiencing.

P.S - Another thing might be to try Microsoft's Virtual PC software (free for Windows-7 64-bit users) as there are some hints by Microsoft to do in order to run some older 32-Bit XP applications under Windows-7, I want to read up on it before jumping into that but thought it was worth mentioning if anyone had sucess or not trying that approach.

BTW - Microsofts Windows-7 compatibility site makes the statement "Information coming soon - We are working with the device manufacturer to confirm this product’s compatibility". Yaa sure, I don't know how long that message has been there but we'll see - just thought I would add that little comment to the list as well.

https://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=HP%20Sc...

Microsoft also had a running forum on this issue by users in late 2009 here (no answers that I saw):
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/e6868dc5-9559-4396-bd1d-fec702de2...

Keep the hope going - maybe someone will discover an answer, HP will help us, etc...

Please if there are others of you out there experiencing this problem (Windows 7 - HP Scanjet 4470c Problems) as well please join and reply to this discussion string so we know and can build a larger case for HP to work with ASAP.  

HP Recommended

Update: The Microsoft Virtual PC software (free for Windows-7 Professional and up users) with Windows XP Mode seemed to do the trick.

I got our HP 4470c HP Scanjet working under Windows 7 Professional (x64)

I checked one more time, no progress on other website pages relating to fixes or resolutions this problem. Called HP, they were very friendly and said o'h your scanner is old... legacy... it's not supported under Vista let alone Windows 7 want to buy a new one? So I went onto this course of action and simply put a few minutes worth of effort now our scanner is working on Windows 7 Professional x64. I'm fairly certain this probably will work for some of you who have other models of HP Scanners which were once were working  under Windows-XP but not Windows-7, it's not guaranteed but it's a pretty good certianty so hay! give it a try.

Microsft Virtual PC - If you have not used Microsoft's Virtual PC it basically runs on top of Windows-7, a bit more than your average application but none the less that is what it is, an app/shell (it's Windows-XP within Windows 7). We have a newbox with an I5 processor and 6-gig of memory so our install went pretty fast as well as running Virtual PC. The big thing was the almost 500-meg download of Windows XP Mode software followed by another download same page of Virtual PC much smaller. The install all in all went pretty well, you download and run Windows XP Mode installation software followed by Virtual PC Software (fairly quick the download even at highspeed took longer). A few minutes of config and a reboot and you now have Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode. To install softwares which will run under XP you launch Windows XP Mode from Virtual PC under your start Menu (Windows-7) and install your application under XP Compability mode. There is a slight trick in mounting and unmounting devices (e.g USB Scanner, USB disk drives etc - getting used to the (shared & release) but after that it works great. HP Scanner Software installed fine with no errors under virtual PC.

Using Your HP SCANNER Software under Virtual PC - Before you start the HP Scanner software (e.g HP Precision Pro), you will launch Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode, mount any devices such as the scanner by going to the USB pull down tab at the top of the window, find the scanner if it's USB connected (we did not have parallel connected scanner so I am not sure how the HP scanner software would react in that case) find any disk drives you want available and connect them. A word to the wise 'watch where you save your scans to' else you'll be looking for them later and scratching your head, you may have to release them thru the USB Tab again in order to see devices later back in Windows-7.

Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode works fine for some other older programs that used to work under XP as well (see support and videos link below for more information).

Sound complicated !  It's not really, put your mind at rest. View the informative Videos on Microsoft site first, see if your system meets the requirements (e.g  Does your CPU supports VM virtual mode) before you start by visiting the Download page as well.

Support & Videos**
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/default.aspx

Download Page (Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode Downloads, and tools to test compatibility to see if your system supports Virtual PC VM Mode, etc)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Best Regards :OpenSmile:
   -Russ-
     Doc D.

Why Try and remember 1000's of Website Addresses !
www.docdingley.com

HP Recommended

For those who do not have Windows 7 Professional and have a Windows XP install CD an alternate method is to install Windows XP in a separate partition on the hard drive. The hard drive should have three partitions, one for Windows 7, one for XP and one for data so that all data files can be accessed by each Windows system.

The computer is then a dual boot system with either Windows 7 or XP. Best of both worlds and lower system overhead.

All programmes and peripherals that are not supported by Windows 7 can be operated/accessed in XP and place in or access data from the common data partition.

Google for instructions on how to setup a dual boot Windows 7 and XP system.

example: http://www.techspot.com/guides/143-dual-boot-windows7/

We would all welcome a Windows 7 fix for the 4470c driver.

davmax

HP Recommended

Whilst suggesting a dual boot solution that share a data file in a seperate partition. I should note that this requires an understanding of how to move the My Documents folder linkage to connect to the folder on the data partition. Then there are access security issues to fix to enable access from both OSs. The later I am current trying to solve. I will post full solution when resolved.

It seems that virtual XP is much simpler to setup. However there are always trade offs .

HP Recommended

Further to my last post. The best of both worlds achieved.

I now have file sharing by both OP systems working. I simply used my original backup of the data files to replace all the files and their NTFS settings.

Currently an inspection of the security settings of both folders and files shows access to "everyone" and interestingly the ownership can be either the Xp owner or the 7 owner.

I am not sure what originally went wrong, but it seems that when moving the links to My Documents, My pictures etc in Windows 7 a change of security occurred. So simply setting security back to the original XP settings in my backup enabled the desired operation.

I use AIS backup that is flexible enough to allow a choice of how the files and folders are restored, such as re-write everything.

HP Recommended

@rdingley wrote:

Update: The Microsoft Virtual PC software (free for Windows-7 Professional and up users) with Windows XP Mode seemed to do the trick.

I checked one more time, no progress on other website pages relating to fixes or resolutions this problem. Called HP, they were very friendly and said o'h your scanner is old... legacy... it's not supported under Vista let alone Windows 7 want to buy a new one? So I went onto this course of action and simply put a few minutes worth of effort now our scanner is working on Windows 7 Professional x64. I'm fairly certain this probably will work for some of you who have other models of HP Scanners which were once were working  under Windows-XP but not Windows-7, it's not guaranteed but it's a pretty good certianty so hay! give it a try.

Microsft Virtual PC - If you have not used Microsoft's Virtual PC it basically runs on top of Windows-7, a bit more than your average application but none the less that is what it is, an app/shell (it's Windows-XP within Windows 7). We have a newbox with an I5 processor and 6-gig of memory so our install went pretty fast as well as running Virtual PC. The big thing was the almost 500-meg download of Windows XP Mode software followed by another download same page of Virtual PC much smaller. The install all in all went pretty well, you download and run Windows XP Mode installation software followed by Virtual PC Software (fairly quick the download even at highspeed took longer). A few minutes of config and a reboot and you now have Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode. To install softwares which will run under XP you launch Windows XP Mode from Virtual PC under your start Menu (Windows-7) and install your application under XP Compability mode. There is a slight trick in mounting and unmounting devices (e.g USB Scanner, USB disk drives etc - getting used to the (shared & release) but after that it works great. HP Scanner Software installed fine with no errors under virtual PC.

Using Your HP SCANNER Software under Virtual PC - Before you start the HP Scanner software (e.g HP Precision Pro), you will launch Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode, mount any devices such as the scanner by going to the USB pull down tab at the top of the window, find the scanner if it's USB connected (we did not have parallel connected scanner so I am not sure how the HP scanner software would react in that case) find any disk drives you want available and connect them. A word to the wise 'watch where you save your scans to' else you'll be looking for them later and scratching your head, you may have to release them thru the USB Tab again in order to see devices later back in Windows-7.

Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode works fine for some other older programs that used to work under XP as well (see support and videos link below for more information).

Sound complicated !  It's not really, put your mind at rest. View the informative Videos on Microsoft site first, see if your system meets the requirements (e.g  Does your CPU supports VM virtual mode) before you start by visiting the Download page as well.

Support & Videos**

Download Page (Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode Downloads, and tools to test compatibility to see if your system supports Virtual PC VM Mode, etc)

-Russ-
     Doc D.

www.docdingley.com

@rdingley wrote:

Support & Videos**

-Russ-
     Doc D.

www.docdingley.com

HP Recommended

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.