Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

When using the feeder on my HP 6500 E709n, I get a black vertical line down the center of the page.  This shows up on all outgoing faxes as well as any time I copy or scan.  It does not happen if I lay the originals directly on the glass, only when using the feeder. I am new to this forum (or any forum for that matter), but I have looked at posts regarding similar problems with other models, but have not found a solution.  Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction to find an answer?.... Thank you!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

see post of 9-20-11... you have to carefully pry up the feeder cover to reveal the slot the auto feed scanner uses and clean that...

View solution in original post

62 REPLIES 62
HP Recommended

siege_2672,

I would check to make sure there is nothing blocking the light path where the paper feeds through the ADF.  This could be some paper, plastic, etc.  That is causing a black line because there is something blocking the light to the paper.  I would think that if it was a problem with the CCD of the scanner, there would be a black line when scanning from the glass.

I work for HP, but these words are mine alone.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I've almost turned my machine inside out trying to see if there is something in there causing this problem, but have found nothing.  I'm still getting the black line.  Any other ideas, anyone?

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem.

HP Recommended

If you ever get an answer that works, share it here PLEASE!! :Wink:

HP Recommended

siege_2672,

I will forward this to some of the hardware engineers (sorry, it has to be next week), and see if they have heard of this issue.

HP Recommended

I get it to only when using the feeder. It appears that the black line is caused by the bar that moves across when making a copy. It is very aggravating for my small business. I need a fix or repair from HP to prevent this from happening. What can be done?

HP Recommended

I found  this article on eHow.  Does this help fix the problem?

link--http://www.ehow.com/how_5889098_remove-officejet-6500-scan-copy.html

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem - a long black line down the middle of the page and I have done everything to fix it.

HP Recommended

mgilmour01,

Here's a hp link that describes the problem and the solution. It would be great to know if this fixes your problem or not.

link--http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00671260

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.