Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Did the HP Envy 7640 come with its own phone cable or connector for the fax?  I can't connect the fax to work  (I have DSL for phone through comcast) Comcast tells me i should use the phone cable or connector provided with the machine, but i can't remember getting one. The say that these models come with their own phone cable or converter because HP uses two-prong conductors instead of the standard four-prong conductors....

I just want a simple way to set up the fax to work! The Comcast phone modem is downstairs and the fax machine is upstairs. if I can get them to make the phone jacks work, is it as simple as plugging the fax machine in from 1 line on the machine to the wall phone jack? I did that, and sent some test faxes, which say they were sent, but no response. I suspect it's just not working.

Help! I bought this for the fax and have never been able to use it. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@fax11 

I do not know whether the cord was 'in the box" - it might have been, though sometimes these are stuffed in a little white box that might be easy to miss.  ?

Purchase a "two wire" phone cable.  Not uncommon, the "two-wire" cords are different from the regular "four wire" phone cords one usually uses to plug in a land-line phone.  Two-wire phone cords are available from online merchants and Office Supply retailers.

Whether this works is dependent on the setup - DSL is not quite the same thing as a regular phone line service, though it may be "same enough" to handle the fax duties.

The User Guide provides an in-depth "how to" chapter on the Fax features available on your printer.  The information includes setup requirements and how to use your Fax.

Chapter 6 - Fax - starting on Page 47

Chapter 9 - Solve a problem - Section Fax issues - starting on Page 110

More information, including the Fax test document is available in category How to > Topic Fax

and

Be sure to read the FAQ section, including "Can I fax with DSL telephone service?"

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.