fax11
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

cable provided

HP Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Did the HP Envy 7640 come with its own phone cable or connector for the fax?  I can't connect the fax to work  (I have DSL for phone through comcast) Comcast tells me i should use the phone cable or connector provided with the machine, but i can't remember getting one. The say that these models come with their own phone cable or converter because HP uses two-prong conductors instead of the standard four-prong conductors....

I just want a simple way to set up the fax to work! The Comcast phone modem is downstairs and the fax machine is upstairs. if I can get them to make the phone jacks work, is it as simple as plugging the fax machine in from 1 line on the machine to the wall phone jack? I did that, and sent some test faxes, which say they were sent, but no response. I suspect it's just not working.

Help! I bought this for the fax and have never been able to use it. 

1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
23,808 23,589 2,043 7,472
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

cable provided

@fax11 

I do not know whether the cord was 'in the box" - it might have been, though sometimes these are stuffed in a little white box that might be easy to miss.  ?

Purchase a "two wire" phone cable.  Not uncommon, the "two-wire" cords are different from the regular "four wire" phone cords one usually uses to plug in a land-line phone.  Two-wire phone cords are available from online merchants and Office Supply retailers.

Whether this works is dependent on the setup - DSL is not quite the same thing as a regular phone line service, though it may be "same enough" to handle the fax duties.

The User Guide provides an in-depth "how to" chapter on the Fax features available on your printer.  The information includes setup requirements and how to use your Fax.

Chapter 6 - Fax - starting on Page 47

Chapter 9 - Solve a problem - Section Fax issues - starting on Page 110

More information, including the Fax test document is available in category How to > Topic Fax

and

Be sure to read the FAQ section, including "Can I fax with DSL telephone service?"

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation