Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HPEnvy4520 all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It has been about 2 months now I can no longer scan anything in any function. From the computer app or from the printer. I removed the printer and all its files reinstalled with Full Feature and Drivers software. I get a message on the printer screen can not scan to computer. From the Computer it says Scanner communication can not be established. It has Firewall access so that is not it, I feel I have checked and rechecked everything and still nothing. What more must I do besides through the darn thing out at this point. Its a brand new computer and I was able to scan the first month but that was it.  Any HELP is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Traiaberg

That's unfortunate. Let us try to scan from the EWS page of the printer to check if that works.

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  2. Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  3. If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
  4. Go to scan and try scanning.

Alternatively, use HP Smart app to scan

Click here to download and know more about the app.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Traiaberg

Welcome to HP support community.

Are you able to print from computer?

If yes, follow the below steps:

Check Windows Image Acquisition settings

1. In Windows, search for and open View local services.

2. In the Services window, scroll down the list and find Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).

3. Look at the Status and Startup Type values.

• If the status is Started or Running and the Startup Type is Automatic, WIA is running correctly. Skip to the next step.

Making sure WIA Status is Running and Startup Type is Automatic

• If the status is Disabled or no status displays, right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA), click Properties, click the General tab, select Automatic from the Startup type dropdown menu, and then click Start.

If the Start button is grayed out, go back to the Services menu, make sure Remote Procedure Call, Shell Hardware Detection, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and DCOM Server Process Launcher are running and set as Automatic, and then start WIA.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

is your issue fixed?  If not I may have the solution for you

HP Recommended

I can print although its a struggle sometimes it says printer off line. At least I can print so I will try these instructions and see if I can get it to scan. Thank you so much I searched a lot of articles and used the Scan and Print Doctor and still nothing. I think this should do it if it does or does not I will come back on and report either way.

HP Recommended

I was able to go into the settings like you showed. I think I did what I was supposed to. I was able to scan a document from the printer not from my computer so that was okay.  I then went back in today to try and scan something else from the printer. When I went into Scan it says no computer found. I removed and reinstalled the printer. Now when I go to scan from the printer it shows my computer after attempting to connect it says scan unsuccessful. This happens off and on its so frustrating. 

HP Recommended

With the previous instructions I was able to scan one document. Today I went back to do some more and it is back to not scanning. I am lucky I can do basic administrator tasks, I'm thinking I may be doing something wrong when it becomes more technical than basic stuff. I admit I am technically challenged 😉

HP Recommended

This is going to sound very odd but it had helped several posters.  The issue is not software, it is hardware.  To fix it simply pick up the right side of the printer about 6 inches and let it fall.  Do it twice.  After a year of frustrating reboots, deleting and reinstalling to no avail, I did the drop and now it works in all functions.   

HP Recommended

When I went to use the printer again today it was no longer connected to my computer. Once I added it back for the millionth time I tried your solution.  Not gonna lie I have wanted to slam the darn thing many times so doing it made me feel better However it still will not scan.... I get scan unsuccessful says make sure the scan software is installed on yr computer!  I was so hoping this would be "The Fix" thank you for the suggestion

HP Recommended

@Traiaberg

Thanks for joining HP Community!

Could you please help me with the exact model name or the product number of the printer and the operating system of the computer?

Are you facing any issue while making a copy?

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

It is HP4520 all in one series my operating system is windows 10 - 64bit. I still can copy 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.