Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw
Windows 7

While I can send faxes on my LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw, I can't receive them.  I've downloaded the newest software & drivers, and the LaserJet Firmware Update utility, and run the fax test, with the report indicating it passed.

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hey @V122,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with resolving the fax receiving issues you're experiencing on your HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw. However, in order for me to provide you with accurate troubleshooting steps I do have a few questions regarding your fax setup.

1. Are you using a dedicated fax line or is it shared with your phone?

2. If the fax is shared with your phone, is there an answering machine or voice mail service on that line?

3. If so, how many rings does it take your answering machine or voice mail to pick up on?

4. Do you use distinctive ring?

5. Are you using a DSL or VOIP phone line? If you're not sure you would have to ask your phone company. 

Because you're able to send faxes and your fax test passes I know that your fax machine is properly connected and your fax modem in your printer is functioning properly. This does sound like a few settings just need to be tweaked to suite your specific phone line setup.

Once I get the answers to my questions above I will be more than happy to assist you with properly setting up your fax machine for receiving. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Dear X-23,

Thank you for your prompt response.  In answer to your questions:

1.  Dedicated fax.

4.  No distinctive ring.

5.  Neither, I have FIOS.

Best regards,

V122

HP Recommended

Hello @V122,

Thanks for getting back to me with the answers to my questions above.

Now that I know your fax line setup, I'm going to walk you through adjusting some settings on your fax machine. Please run through the steps below.

Untitled.png

1. Select the Setup (wrench) button (circled in red) at the top of your touchscreen.
  2. Right arrow over to Fax Setup. Touch Fax Setup to access that menu.
  3. Under Fax Setup right arrow to Basic Fax Setup and select it.
  4. Right arrow to Answer Mode and select it
  5. Under Answer Mode ensure your machine is set to 'Automatic'
  6. Right arrow to Rings to Answer. Select Rings to Answer and set this to two Rings to Answer.
  7. Right arrow to Distinctive Ring. Touch Distinctive Ring to access it.
  8. Ensure Distinctive Ring is set to 'All Rings'
  9. Select the Return Arrow in the bottom left hand corner and then right arrow over to Advanced Fax Setup. Touch Advanced Fax Setup to access this menu
  10. Right arrow to Fax Speed. Select Fax Speed to access this menu. Ensure Fax Speed is set to Medium (V.17)
  11. Select the Return Arrow in the bottom left again.
  12. Right arrow to Services. Select Services to access this menu
  13. Select Fax Services
  14. Right arrow to Error Correction. Select this and ensure this feature is OFF.

Once these settings are adjusted, try to receive a fax again to ensure that your fax receiving issue has been resolved. If you notice that your machine attempts to pick up the fax but fails with a 'communication error' please let me know.

Best of luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Dear X-23,

Thank you for your prompt response.  I changed the settings, & the fax would just ring & ring [I was sending it from my office, I was not at home where the fax was].  The fax was apparently in sleep mode, I called home to have it turned on, & the fax went through.  However, since the fax setting was set to "Automatic," I thought it should not have to be turned on manually.

Best regards,

HP Recommended

Hello @V122,

Well, good news is, your fax settings are all correct and your machine can answer.

Bad new is, the printer should be waking up from sleep mode to answer your incoming faxes.

This sleep mode issue may be caused by two things: either lack of power or a programming issue with your printer.

To ensure that power is not causing this issue, can you please plug your printer directly into a wall outlet. Avoid power strips and surge protectors as they can cause HP printers to lack power and not perform properly. If your printer still fails to wake up from sleep mode while plugged directly into a wall outlet than a programming corruption would be causing this issue.

Now, you have already updated the Firmware on your printer. This leaves us with a programming reset that would need to be run. I am going to send you the instructions via Private Message on how to perform the programming reset. Once the reset is complete please test your fax again to ensure that the sleep mode issue is resolved. Post the result of the reset in this thread and not in the Private Message.

I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

After plugging the machine directly into the wall outlet with the same result, I have repeatedly tried to perform the reset, but I do not receive a "Permanent Storage Init" message.  I am sure I am pressing the correct areas of the display for the 2 buttons, & I even marked the areas with tape when the machine was on to be sure I was pressing the correct spots.  No matter what I do, I merely get the initializing message, & then the machine indicates ready.

HP Recommended

Hello @V122,

I am so sorry but I provided you the wrong reset for your printer!

Some of the troubleshooting I am given is generic, so without even thinking I gave you the standard reset steps. When you told me it failed to work for you I went to my printer and attempted it. It also failed for me. So I did some testing of my own and found the reset out for myself.

I have already went ahead and sent you a new Private Message with the proper reset instructions.

Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have followed the instructions and the printer did reset.  I also made the other changes outlined in your earliest post [e.g., automatic, 2 rings, fax speed, etc.].  The printer is plugged directly into the outlet, not a surge protector.  However, the printer still does not automatically wake up.

HP Recommended

Hello @V122,

I'm sorry to hear that the reset made no difference.

Because your fax machine will manually answer faxes we know that the fax modem in your printer is functioning properly. In saying that, I did a bit more research into the Fios phone line that you're using and I do believe that your issue lies with your digital fiber-optic phone line.

Faxing is old analog technology. Nowadays many phone providers offer digital phone lines (like your Fios line). These digital phone lines should work OK with your fax machine. However, there is a lot more static noise and interference on those digital phone lines that cause fax receiving issues. Because your fax can manually answer we know, as I previously stated, that the fax modem is functioning. However, the fax signal isn't strong enough (probably due to digital interference) to prompt your machine to wake up and automatically answer the fax. Simply stated, your machine does not detect a fax coming through.

According the the User Guide for your printer: "HP products are designed specifically for use with analog phone services."  Source: User Guide: Page 110 (120-128)

Because Fios operates like Voip (Digital internet based phone line) we could try to lower your Fax Speed to Slow on your printer to give your fax machine more time to 'listen' and 'connect' as the digital signals transfer much faster than analog signals.

How to Lower Fax Speed:

1. Select the Setup button on your printer
  2. Right arrow to Fax Setup
  3. Right arrow to Advanced Fax Setup
  4. Select Fax Speed and alter this to Slow

Once the Fax Speed has been changed to slow, please try to receive a fax automatically again to see how your printer responds.

Please let me know if the Fax Speed adjustment resolves your issue. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.