Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 8 (6,310 Views)

error 344 when faxing on my officejet 6700

Product Name: Officejet 6700
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When  attempting to fax I get an Error 344 I have checked everything I can think of What do you think

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 8 (6,275 Views)

Re: error 344 when faxing on my officejet 6700

Hello @Walterhulse,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're getting the error code 344 when faxing from your HP Officejet 6700 Premium e-All-in-One Printer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this fax error. This error code has to do with a communication issue on the phone line. If this error only occurs with one specific fax number, but you're able to send to all other fax numbers just fine, than the issue likely lies with the receiving ends fax machine. However, if you get these error codes frequently when faxing with your HP Officejet there is likely a communication issue occuring with your fax line. Faxing is old analog technology. Nowadays phone companies use digital lines. Digital lines are OK to use, but there is a greater chance that your fax machine will encounter communication issues. The reason for the communication errors is because of the static noise interference over digital lines. Also, the transmission speeds over digital lines is much faster than analog. The faster transmission speeds can cause fax packets of information to be lost in the sending or receiving process. Once those packets have been lost a communication error will arise. In saying that, there are settings on your machine that we can alter to eliminate as much static noise and speed interference as possible. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Alter Error Correction Mode:

1. On the front panel of your printer touch the Setup button
  2. Touch Fax Setup
  3. Touch Advanced Fax Setup
  4. Select Error Correction Mode
  5. Turn Error Correction Mode OFF

Step 2: Alter Fax Speed:

1. On the front panel of your printer touch the Setup button
  2. Touch Fax Setup
  3. Touch Advanced Fax Setup
  4. Select Fax Speed
  5. Set the Fax Speed to Slow (9600 bps)

Once the adjustments have been made, please try faxing again to verify if the issue has been resolved. Should the issue persist, I will need you to clarify a few things for me before I can offer additional support.

• (1) Is your fax line dedicated or shared with a telephone?

• (2) Do you have an answering machine or voicemail on the line?

• (3) Do you use distinctive ring?

• (4) Are you using the 2-wire fax cable that came with your HP Officejet?

• (5) Who is your phone line provider?

• (6) Do you use a DSL or VoIP line?

If you're not sure what phone line you have, you may need to speak with your phone provider.

• (7) Does your fax cable go from the fax machine (Line-1) port directly to the wall jack, or is there anything in between (modem, splitter, etc)?

Please respond to this post with the result of altering the fax settings. Should the issue persist, be sure to include the answers to my questions above in your response so I can accurately guide you to a solution. I look forward to hearing from you! Smiley Happy

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Master's Graduate
Message 3 of 8 (6,244 Views)

Below link provides you causes and solution of Error 344 while attempting to fax. Try the troubleshooting steps and check if issue is reolved.

http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/buu02549

Honor Student
Message 4 of 8 (6,155 Views)

I'm having the same problem ever since comcast upgraded my modem.  Speed is to slow.  ECM is off.  Dedicated line.  No distinctive ring.  2-wire cable used.  Help!

HP Support Agent
Message 5 of 8 (6,140 Views)

Hey @drhigg,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with resolving the 344 fax communication error that you're getting on your HP Officejet 6700 Premium e-All-in-One Printer. There's definitely interference on the phone line with this upgraded Comcast modem.

To clarify, do you know if your Comcast line is DSL or VoIP?

If you're not sure, you may need to speak with Comcast to confirm.

I look forward to hearing from you! Smiley Happy

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 6 of 8 (6,132 Views)

VoIP
HP Support Agent
Message 7 of 8 (6,126 Views)

Hey @drhigg,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue.

Just so you are aware, because HP fax products are designed to work with ordinary analog telephone service, HP cannot guarantee that the HP fax product will work with a VoIP service (Source). You have already completed the suggested steps (Fax Speed: Slow, Error Correction: OFF) on your printer. Therefore, you may need to speak with Comcast to see if there is some sort of noise suppressor service that they can place on the phone line to eliminate the static noise and fax transmission speeds issue that is causing this fax communication failure on your machine. For additional faxing over VoIP information, see here: Faxing over a VoIP connection and Fax Troubleshooting for Comcast Digital Voice.

Please let me know if your issue is resolved after speaking with Comcast. Best of luck! Smiley Happy

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

Student
Message 8 of 8 (5,831 Views)

I have tried faxing from my HP 6700 several times and I continue to receive error code 344. I have done the following (according to a previous post):

1. Error Correction Mode is turned off.

2. Fax speed is set to slow.

3. Fax line is shared with a phone line.

4. Have voice mail service through CenturyLink.

5. Do not have a distinctive ring.

6. Unsure if the 2-wire fax cable came with the printer. However, the fax has been working up until a month ago and there have been no wiring changes.

7. Have DSL

8. Fax cable goes from fax machine into a splitter that is shared with the modem. (Again no changes in this set up and it was previously working.)

9. Contacted CenturyLink and they tested the line - there is no problem with our phone connection.

Using Windows 10 - again faxing has previously worked with Windows 10 and there has not been any changes.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation