Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

faxing with laser jet

HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro M280-M281 Multifunction Printer series
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My very new m281 prints copies & scans, but won't fax. I have digital telephone line, and test run says disconnect from digital line & connect to analog line. Is there any work around ?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
28,630 28,583 2,359 3,576
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@drsds1

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand you need help setting up fax,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you check if the phone connection type you've used is compatible with your printer?

Have you checked the user guide for details?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to check:

Step 1: Identify the phone connection type

Review the following equipment and service types to determine which setup method to use. The method used

depends on the equipment and services already installed on the phone system.

NOTE: The printer is an analog device. HP recommends using the printer on a dedicated analog telephone line.

● Dedicated phone line: The printer is the only piece of equipment or service connected to the phone line

● Voice calls: Voice and fax calls use the same phone line

● Answering machine: An answering machine answers voice calls on the same phone line used for fax calls

● Voice mail: A voice-mail subscription service uses the same phone line as the fax

● Distinctive ring service: A service from the telephone company that allows several phone numbers to be

associated with one phone line, and each number has a different ring pattern; the printer detects the ring

pattern assigned to it and answers the call

● Computer dial-up modem: A computer uses the phone line to connect to the Internet through a dial-up

connection

● DSL line: A digital subscriber line (DSL) service from the telephone company; this service might be called

ADSL in some countries/regions

● PBX or ISDN phone system: A private branch exchange (PBX) phone system or an integrated services digital

network (ISDN) system

● VoIP phone system: Voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) through an Internet provider

Step 2: Set up the fax

Click the link below that best describes the environment in which the printer will be sending and receiving faxes,

and follow the setup instructions.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS - Page. 68 onward.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@drsds1

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand you need help setting up fax,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you check if the phone connection type you've used is compatible with your printer?

Have you checked the user guide for details?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to check:

Step 1: Identify the phone connection type

Review the following equipment and service types to determine which setup method to use. The method used

depends on the equipment and services already installed on the phone system.

NOTE: The printer is an analog device. HP recommends using the printer on a dedicated analog telephone line.

● Dedicated phone line: The printer is the only piece of equipment or service connected to the phone line

● Voice calls: Voice and fax calls use the same phone line

● Answering machine: An answering machine answers voice calls on the same phone line used for fax calls

● Voice mail: A voice-mail subscription service uses the same phone line as the fax

● Distinctive ring service: A service from the telephone company that allows several phone numbers to be

associated with one phone line, and each number has a different ring pattern; the printer detects the ring

pattern assigned to it and answers the call

● Computer dial-up modem: A computer uses the phone line to connect to the Internet through a dial-up

connection

● DSL line: A digital subscriber line (DSL) service from the telephone company; this service might be called

ADSL in some countries/regions

● PBX or ISDN phone system: A private branch exchange (PBX) phone system or an integrated services digital

network (ISDN) system

● VoIP phone system: Voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) through an Internet provider

Step 2: Set up the fax

Click the link below that best describes the environment in which the printer will be sending and receiving faxes,

and follow the setup instructions.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS - Page. 68 onward.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I followed all the set up instructions. Unfortunately, I did not realize that the printer is analog, and needs to be connected to an analog line. My telephone line is digital. Is there any device that makes the line recognized as analog. It’s unfortunate that the Hp printer is analog. This was not a concern that came up when I bought this printer. I like the printer and don’t want to take it back. Is there any option other than changing my telephone line (at my expense) to analog?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
28,630 28,583 2,359 3,576
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@drsds1

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

About connecting your analog printer to a digital line, here's what you need to know:

ADSL uses digital technology to transfer high-bandwidth information over ordinary copper telephone wires. Data are transmitted to the computer directly as digital data (instead of analog). This system allows the service providers to use a much wider bandwidth for transmitting the data.

Unlike regular dial-up phone services, ADSL provides continuously available "always on" connection. ADSL is generally offered at downstream data rates from 512 Kbps to about 6 Mbps.

If specified during the setup of the ADSL line, the signal can be separated so that part of the bandwidth is used to transmit analog signals (for voice and fax) while the remaining bandwidth is used to transmit digital data (for the Internet). This allows for the use of telephone, fax, and computers on the same line at the same time.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

If the above doesn't help, I recommend you Contact HP as they may be able to take remote access on your device,

And help you set it up accordingly (if an options as such is available)

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution".

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation