Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

How do i get my Officejet Pro 8600 Plus all-in-0ne printer to take legal sized paper?  The printer's specs say it prints legal size but the tray is for letter size.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The tray can be extended for legal size paper.  Remove the tray and note the blue release lever on the left side.  Releasing this lever will allow expanding the tray to legal size.  After expanding the tray move the center slider to provide appropriate alignment of the loaded paper.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

The tray can be extended for legal size paper.  Remove the tray and note the blue release lever on the left side.  Releasing this lever will allow expanding the tray to legal size.  After expanding the tray move the center slider to provide appropriate alignment of the loaded paper.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Bob. You have saved the day.

HP Recommended

Hello - I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600.  I have letter and legal paper trays, both are full and installed. I am able to select legal as a paper choice in the menu, but the printer will only print letter?  In this case, I am not printing from the computer, I am copying a document. But even when I try to print something legal from my comp, I still cannot, even tho I have set the doc in the printer and comp to print 8.5 x 14.

Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

VERY helpful answer!  Also, note that both Tray 1 and Tray 2 (if you have it) have the blue tab at the front of the tray that allows you to do this.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I have two trays, one for regular and the other for legal size paper.  Regardless of how I set my computer to print I am not able to print legal size documents without pulling out the regular size paper tray.  This doesn't seem right.  How to I print legal size documents without the inconvenience of pulling the regular paper tray out?

HP Recommended

@TeamFurrow wrote:

I have two trays, one for regular and the other for legal size paper.  Regardless of how I set my computer to print I am not able to print legal size documents without pulling out the regular size paper tray.  This doesn't seem right.  How to I print legal size documents without the inconvenience of pulling the regular paper tray out?

HP Recommended

When I extend the tray and add the legal paper it fits in just great. 

THEN...The tray no longer looks like it fits properly and I get the error message that I am out of paper. Cannot pass go.

HP Recommended
Now that the experts have explained it may I please add my 2 cents in here to clarify something I didn't quite understand. While you wiggle the blue thing on the left of tray, you have to pull the back end of tray out at same time.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.