12-10-2019 03:48 PM
How do I scan documents and where do they go?
12-10-2019 04:52 PM
There are a bunch of options, actually.
HP Smart for Windows 10
Easy to download, install, and use.
The application download from the store is sometimes right on your printer Software and Drivers support website
Click the box Get the App
HP Smart - Help for Windows (includes a link to the store and an FAQ section)
Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer
Scans can be saved to a desired location (folder), "shared" via your social media or mail, or even printed.
Nice, simple, quick, and smart, too.
Printer Software - Printer Assistant shortcut icons on the Desktop
Takes a bit more time to install (a few minutes).
The Full Feature Software gives you access to all the printer's features. The Full Feature Software provides the printing infrastructure used by other software (Word, Browsers, Photo software, for example).
- If using USB, disconnect the USB cable between the printer and the computer before starting the installation.
- Connect the cable when instructed to do so (toward the end of the installation procedure).
- Some (newer) printer models provide the "Easy Start" install method. When applicable, Easy Start will be found in the Software and Drivers website support page > Category Software \
- Within Easy Start, you will be given the opportunity to install the software that is available. Full Feature Software might be available – look for / Select the "Full Driver" software.
Standard - Manual Installation of the Downloaded Printer Software
- Download and Save the printer software installation file to your computer
- Open File Explorer
- Navigate to the folder in which you saved the Full Feature Software or HP Easy Start Printer Setup (likely Downloads)
- Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator”
- If you use the EasyStart method, select the Full Feature Software (full driver) when (and if) the option is presented. The name of the “full driver” might vary by printer model. For example, the software might be called “Full Solution Software”.
- After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in
** Optional - Video help **
NOTE: Videos may be found in one or more locations (depending on printer / software / version)
Open the printer Software and Drivers page >
Scroll down and select Related Videos > Click View All >
Find and view the relevant video
AND / OR
** Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer” **
Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more
Open the printer Website Support Homepage >
Scroll down and select Video Tutorials > Click View All >
Find and view the relevant video
AND / OR
HP Collection of “how-to” videos
- Use Categories and the search window to narrow the search.
Category Printers and All-in-Ones > Install, Setup, Drivers
- Select your Video
HP Scan and Capture
HP Scan and Capture - Windows Store - Requires Windows 8 or higher
- Download-Save-Install HP Scan and Capture
Easy to install and easy to use. Fairly smart, too.
If the printer is on your network, you might be able to use Webscan in the Embedded Web Server (EWS).
Scans are saved where you choose on your computer.
Webscan – located in the Embedded Web Server (EWS) – No additional software
If the printer is on the network,
- Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar
- Tab Settings > Security > Administrator Settings > make sure Webscan is checked / enabled
- Tab Scan > Webscan(Does not require installed printer software)
Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer
Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)
Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”
NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System
HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic
Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.
We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.