Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 6978 All in one
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

How can I change the default target folder used to store the scan files that are produced when I scan a document or other type of output file such as PDF?  The software default profiles for all types of output files all specify simply using default Win local user library Documents folder paths, that is, saving to C:\username\Documents library folder, and it cannot be edited.  I tried specifying a new shortcut for the PDF type, for wxample, but it really just duplicates the HP built-in profiles except for the shortcut name.

The scans from my HP printer all go to the same Windows library Document folder for anything scanned, and I must then go to the MyDocuments folder and move the scan files to whatever folder I need for destination storage.  This is very inconvenient if I am scanning a large number of documents at one time.

Is there a way to get the HP software to ask me for a destination folder to save the output files to when I do a scan? By that I mean where I just set a particular folder as a default preference for each type of file that remains the target for that type unless the preference is changed.

Thanks

Pete B

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Pete,

From the HP Scan software select your required scan shortcut and press the More > option in the side of the screen.

Within the Destination tab, you may change the destination folder.

You may also check the box to Show Save As Dialog, then a Save As dialog will be shown upon saving a scan.

Click OK to complete the changes and click the disk icon near the shortcut name to save the changes as default, that can also be done for the preconfigured scan shortcuts provided with the software which are accessible from the printer front panel too.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi Pete,

From the HP Scan software select your required scan shortcut and press the More > option in the side of the screen.

Within the Destination tab, you may change the destination folder.

You may also check the box to Show Save As Dialog, then a Save As dialog will be shown upon saving a scan.

Click OK to complete the changes and click the disk icon near the shortcut name to save the changes as default, that can also be done for the preconfigured scan shortcuts provided with the software which are accessible from the printer front panel too.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Excellent, that is what I was looking for!!  Thanks, works great! Problem solved!

Pete B

HP Recommended

I have tried that and my preferred folder is now shown on screen for both photos and documents. However, the scanner ignores that when I try to scan from the scanner wirelessly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.