Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Scanning has not worked since the wondows 10 upgrade.  I have uninstalled/ reinstalled the drivers several times.  HP print and scan doctor also doesn't work since the upgrade.  Occasionally, the printer says it's scanning, but it isn't.  I have to turn the device off to cancel the scan.  Printing works fine.  I tried downoading HP scan and capture, it claims device cannot be found.  Scanning is essential, and I can't roll back the upgrade because this is a new laptop and I don't have the install disk.

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

I have the same scanner problems on a HP 4501 printer since downloading Windows 10 . I can not scan at all. I keep 

getting a scanner problem display on the printer. I have run the HP print and scan doctor many times and it just does not

give me a solution that works.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled the printer drivers, down loaded the latest printer software

upgrades and tried every suggestion that H P has given me on various sites. I was getting a message on the printer that it

was scanning but it was not and I had to turn off the printer to clear it.   At present I am getting a display on the

printer "Scaner Problem  and if turning off the printer and turning it back on does not correct the problem I have a  broken

scanner componnent." I also seen an error code from time to time OXC4EB827F HLMICC12C.

HP Recommended

Hey @heathe51803,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂

I see that since updating your computer to Windows 10 you are no longer able to scan from your HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer to your computer as your scanner is not recognized. I would like to assist you today with resolving this scan driver conflict. Thank you for including all of the troubleshooting steps that you have attempted prior to reaching out for support. At this time I am going to have you run through some additional software and driver troubleshooting steps. Please follow all of the steps below to resolve this issue.

If using a USB Cable connection between your printer and computer, please disconnect that cable now. 

• Step 1: Remove Driver:

1. Click on your Start button

ps 1.png

2. Just type Programs and Features. If a search doesn't automatically start, you may need to type Programs and Features in the 'Ask me Anything' box.

3. Click Programs and Features to launch the window.

4. In Programs and Features, a list of programs installed on your computer will populate. Please scroll down the list and look for your HP Envy. If you see your HP Envy listed, click it and choose Uninstall.

5. Please follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall. Once the uninstall has completed successfully  please  close Programs and Features.

6. Next, click on your Start menu again

7. This time type Devices

8. Click Devices and Printers to launch the window.

ps 2.png

9. In Devices and Printers look for your HP Envy. If you see if please right click on it and choose 'Remove' or 'Delete'

10. Once your HP Envy is no longer showing in Devices and Printers please click on any device under the Printers list once just to highlight it. Click Print Server Properties at the top

ps 5.png

11. Click on the Drivers tab

12. Look for your HP Envy driver. If listed, please click on it and choose Remove

13. Select Remove Driver Only

14. Select OK

15. Click Apply and OK under the Print Server Properties window.

16. Close Devices and Printers. Please proceed to the next step.

• Step 2: Clear Temp Files:

1. Click on your Start menu

2. Type Run. Click Run to launch the Run dialogue box.

ps 3.png

3. Type %temp% in the Run box and click OK

ps 4.png

4. When the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard. Everything in this folder will now highlight.

5. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.

6. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied

7. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin. Please proceed to the next step.

• Step 3: Install Device:

1. Please click here to download and install the Full Feature Software and Driver package for your printer
  2. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen prompts to install your printer
  3. If using a USB Cable connection, avoid plugging in the USB Cable until the installer prompts you to

Once the installation has completed successfully please test scanning. Should the scan issue persist, let's run the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool again.

• Step 4: Run HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool:

Please click here to download the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool. Once the Tool has downloaded, please run the Tool to 'Fix Scanning.' When the scan tests are occuring, click 'More Details.' You'll now see a check list of things like Device Manager, Driver Check, Device Status, Windows (WIA) Scan, HP Twain Scan, Registry, HP Scan, etc. Keep an eye on this list. Should anything fail (red X) or show a wrench (fix applied) please take note of it. Once complete, please test scanning through HP Scan software. Should scanning still fail please let me know what was 'fixed' and 'failed' under the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. If the steps I've provided resolved this scan issue please mark my post as a Solution so other users of the HP Support Forum can easily find these steps. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hey @skibuddy,

Welcome to the thread! 🙂

I understand that you're seeing the message 'Scanner Problem' on the front panel of your HP ENVY 4501 e-All-in-One Printer and that is preventing you from scanning to your Windows 10 computer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. Now, just so you are aware, the 'Scanner Problem' error is usually printer hardware related and the computer has no affect on this. Therefore, the fact that this error occured after the Windows 10 operating system update may be coincidental. With that being said, there are some standalone hardware troubleshooting steps that we'll run through to resolve this issue. Once we're able to get your product to standalone Copy successfully we'll work towards a resolution for scanning. Please follow the steps below.

• Solution one: Reset the Printer:
  1. Press the Power button to turn ON the printer, if it is not already ON.
  2. With the printer turned ON, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 15 seconds, and then plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  5. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  6. If the printer does not turn ON by itself, press the Power button to turn it ON.
  7. Try to make a colour Copy.

If you are now able to Copy successfully, any Scan hardware failures have been resolved. Please perform a test Scan from the computer. Should Scanning (or Copying) fail, please proceed to the next step.

• Solution two: Check the Power Connection:

1. Press the Power button to turn OFF the printer.
  2. Unplug the printer power cord from any surge protector, extension cord, or power strip, and then connect the power cord directly to a wall outlet.
  3. Turn ON the printer.
  4. Try to make a colour Copy.

• If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting. The surge protector, extension cord, or power strip you were using does not allow enough voltage for the printer to work properly.
  • If the issue persists, try connecting the printer power cord to a different wall outlet, and then try to make another color copy.
  • If the printer still does not work properly when plugged into a different wall outlet, continue to the next step below.

(Source)

• Solution three: Update Firmware:

The Firmware is the internal programming within your printer. Essentially, it is the 'brains' of your printer and controls what your printer does and how your printer does it. If there is a corruption within the internal programming within your machine your product may experience performance issues. At this point I am going to have you ensure that your printer is running the most recent version of Firmware. Please click here to download the latest Firmware version. Once the download is complete, please follow the onscreen prompts to 'send' the Firmware to you printer. Once updated, test Copying. If Copying is successful, test Scanning. Should the issue persist, please proceed.

• Solution four: Check Scanner Light:

Hit the Copy button on the printer. Next, lift the scanner lid slightly so you can check if the scanner actually lights up and if the scanner bar moves across the scanner glass.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. Should the issue persist, be sure to let me know how the scanner light (bar) responded. I look forward to hearing from you. Best of luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I am unable to remove the printer driver- message states that the driver is currently in use.

HP Recommended

Hey @heathe51803,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue. 🙂

The message 'Driver is currently in use' that is preventing you from removing the driver is likely being caused by a corrupted print job that's stuck in your Print Spooler. The Print Spooler is the print system built into the Windows operating system. I'm going to have you check the Print Spooler on the computer to ensure that any corrupted print jobs have been removed.

How to Check Print Spooler:

1. Click on your Start menu
  2. In the 'Ask me Anything' box type Run
  3. Click on Run to launch the Run dialogue box
  4. In the Run box type services.msc and select OK
  5. When the Services window opens scroll down until you see Print Spooler
  6. Click on Print Spooler once just to highlight it
  7. If you see Stop or Restart in the top left hand corner than this indicates that your Print Spooler is actually Started. Please click on Stop to temporarily Stop the service.
  8. Minimize this window as we will need to come back here
  9. Reopen your Start screen
  10. Type Computer. Click on Computer (or This PC) when it populates as a result
  11. In the Computer window select your C Drive
  12. Click on Windows
  13. Click System32
  14. Click Spool
  15. Click PRINTERS. You may get a permissions warning, just Continue past this.
  16. The PRINTERS folder should be empty. If there is any files in here they are corrupted print jobs. Right click on anything in this folder and 'delete' the files.
  17. Close the PRINTERS folder
  18. Reopen the Services window we previously minimized
  19. Click on Print Spooler again to highlight it
  20. Click on Start in the top left corner
  21. If you get an error message please take note of it. If the Print Spooler starts successfully you will see 'Stop and Restart' as your options in the top left
  22. Close the Services window

Now that the Print Spooler has been cleared and Started, please proceed with with the instructions under Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3 from my previous post to resolve this scan issue.

Let me know how this goes. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Still does not work. I tried everything to the letter.

HP Recommended

Hey @skibuddy,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue!

• To clarify, are you able to Copy successfully from the front panel of your printer?

🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi support, I have tried previous instructions to reload printer software, but still having a problem with scanning.

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10, but when trying to scan any documents the printer displays the message "Now scanning” and is stuck in this mode. I have tried HP print and scanner doctor, but this stops at "driver check".

Can you help please?

HP Recommended

Hey @willprint,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're not able to scan from your HP All-in-One Printer to your computer since upgrading to Windows 10. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. Thanks for attempting all of the driver/software steps that I previously posted in this thread. Before I am able to offer additional guidance I do need to clarify a few of things.

• (1) What HP All-in-One Printer are you using? See here for assistance with locating the product number: What's my Model Number?

• (2) Is your printer currently able to perform a successful Copy from the front panel?

• (3) Is the printer connected through a USB Cable or Network connection to the computer?

• (4) Are you able to scan successfully if the scan is initiated through the HP Scan (HP Printer Assistant) software on your computer desktop? Or, does scanning fail when initiated through both the HP Scan software on the computer, and the front panel of the printer?

Once I have the answers to my questions above I will be happy to guide you to a solution. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.