Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
hp envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got a new computer with Windows 10. I have no trouble printing wirelessly to my HP Envy 4500. However, I cannot scan from the printer or from my computer. I have downloaded the HP scan and capture app to my laptop. When I click on "capture Photo" or "Capture document" in the app, I can hear the printer begin to scan, but then I get a "general failure". When I try to scan from the printer, the printer is "unable to connect to the computer" (however, I am able to send something to print without problems).

Next I connected my laptop via usb to the printer. When trying to scan from the printer, the printer is still unable to connect to my computer. When trying to scan from the HP app, it will sometimes (about 1 in 4 attempts) if I click on "capture Photo". However, it will never scan when I click on "capture Document". I get a "General failure" diagnosis.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found the answer on another forum:

Hi tamt,

The ENVY 5530 is very similar to the ENVY 4500 and had a similar issue. Go to http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-10-Expert-Day-Printers-All-in-Ones/Copy-Scan-Inoperative/td-p/5... for a possible solution.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Click on the link below to see if your printer driver is out of date

--HP Envy Driver and Software--

I hope that helps!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

There are some issue like this that can occur after you upgrade. I resolved a similar issue on my 2546b  by uninstalling the software, restarting the computer and then installing the Full Feature software from HP's web site again... and restarting again.

Wireless setup can be a bit challenging depending on your wireless environment - that age of your home router and the firmware version,et c... this document does a really good job of getting the job done http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03820126

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

Hello,

The scanning feature is an issue because of the services not started by default.

You need to have the full featured HP driver software installed on your PC. 

Since, HP scan requires Windows Image Acquistion services, please try these steps below:

1. Open run and type "services.msc"

2. Restart Windows Image Acquisition services.

3. Open registry settings by typing in run "regedit.exe"

**Follow these steps

a. Go to HKey_LOCALMACHINE >> SYSTEM >> Current control set >> services >> stisvc 

b. Right click on stisvc >> select modify >> RPCss will be mentioned there >> Under RPCss >> type "ShellHWDetection"

c. Click ok. (it will show as error click ok again).

d. Back to step 1: restart Windows Image Acquistion

This should work for you.

Please respond if you face any issues. Also, please mark Kudos or thumbs up, so that people with the same issue can rectify it easily.

Cheers

Madhav

HP Recommended

I found the answer on another forum:

Hi tamt,

The ENVY 5530 is very similar to the ENVY 4500 and had a similar issue. Go to http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-10-Expert-Day-Printers-All-in-Ones/Copy-Scan-Inoperative/td-p/5... for a possible solution.

HP Recommended

Madhav

I try your step but was halted. nothing happen after "Right click on stisvc >> select modify ..."

Right click on stisvc does not has modify selection but in the edit tool bar I can see it. However it cant be run?? Just halt no matter how I click on it.

Any resolution?

Rdgs

Eric

PS: Indeed under Windows Image Acquisition services, start failed.

HP Recommended

Hello Eric,

Please have a look again and try the steps:

When you click(left click) on "stisvc" >> you will see a "DependOnService" option >> Right click and "Modify"

Edit as below:

ShellHW addition.PNG

You need to add ShellHWDetection, the same way as mentioned above.

Please try out and let me know if you face any difficulties.

Cheers

Madhav

HP Recommended

This post is several years old but this problem just occured to me after a recent windows 10 update. 

HP scan requires Windows Image Acquistion services, please try these steps below:

1. Open run and type "services.msc"

2. Restart Windows Image Acquisition services.

3. Open registry settings by typing in run "regedit.exe"

**Follow these steps

a. Go to HKey_LOCALMACHINE>SYSTEM>Current control set>services>stisvc 

b. When you click on "stisvc">you will see a "DependOnService" option> Right click and "Modify">add ShellHWDetection to the list, as shown in the picture.

c. Click ok. (it will give an error, but click okay anyway).

d. Repeat step 1 to restart Windows Image Acquistion (Do not skip this test)

c. I restarted my pc and printer before trying to scan just in case, worked perfectly. 

ShellHW addition.PNG

Thanks Madhav!!!

HP Recommended

Not sure why this solution worked, but it worked!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.