Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How do I correct this error?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you have sent a fax to the HPFaxMe server and received an response, then the fax system is working with the 8600.  Most likely the issue is with the individual location you are attempting to fax.  It could be due to line condition, line traffic, etc; thus I would advise attempting to fax this number again at a later time and try contacting the receiver to make sure nothing is going on at their end.

As to lowering fax speed on an 8600:

• From the home screen press the Right Arrow
  • Select the Setup menu
  • Select the Fax submenu
  • Scroll down and select Advanced Fax Setup
  • Scroll down to Fax Speed and set the speed to Slow (9600)

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Oreo60,

I see you are getting a 346 error code when faxing with your HP Officejet Pro 8600 (N911) series printer.  Please take a look through the document linked below.

Interpreting Error Codes in Fax Communication Error or Fax History Reports

Error Code: 344, 345, 346, 347, 348, 349 ECM, 350 ECM, 351 ECM, 352 ECM, 353 ECM, 354, 355
Definitions
  • The remote machine failed to respond to a fax command from the local machine because the connection was interrupted. These errors can occur if the phone lines in the area to be faxed are old or there is noise (static on the phone line). Other reasons can include power outages and other power-related problems.
  • The call-waiting service can cause this error. The click, heard for an incoming call, is actually a momentary disconnect of the line.
  • The remote user pressed the Stop key while the reception was in progress.
  • Under rare conditions, incompatibility between the two machines might cause the remote machine to abandon the call.

Solutions
  • Retryt the fax reception at a different time when telephone line conditions have improved. Call the telephone provider if line conditions fail to improve.
  • Disable ECM. Errors might still occur, and might result in a degraded image quality on the received page. However, the ability to send the entire document will be improved.
  • Try sending at a lower transmission speed.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Can you successfully fax to another fax number? Can you receive faxes?

You can test this by sending a fax to 888-HP-FAXME  It will send you a return fax after several minutes. 

This error code is caused by:

• The remote machine failed to respond to a fax command from the local machine because the connection was interrupted. These errors can occur if the phone lines in the area to be faxed are old or there is noise (static on the phone line). Other reasons can include power outages and other power-related problems.
  • The call-waiting service can cause this error. The click, heard for an incoming call, is actually a momentary disconnect of the line.
  • The remote user pressed the Stop key while the reception was in progress.
  • Under rare conditions, incompatibility between the two machines might cause the remote machine to abandon the call.

I was an HP employee.

Kudos are appreciated if I have helped you.
HP Recommended

I have tried diabling the ECM.  I have also set a fax to your test fax and it came back ok.  Could it be the fax number to where I am sending it?  I have tried 2 numbers there several times.  How do I slow the transmission down? I haven't tried that yet.  Could it be because I am using a Mac now?  I have never had this problem before.

HP Recommended

If you have sent a fax to the HPFaxMe server and received an response, then the fax system is working with the 8600.  Most likely the issue is with the individual location you are attempting to fax.  It could be due to line condition, line traffic, etc; thus I would advise attempting to fax this number again at a later time and try contacting the receiver to make sure nothing is going on at their end.

As to lowering fax speed on an 8600:

• From the home screen press the Right Arrow
  • Select the Setup menu
  • Select the Fax submenu
  • Scroll down and select Advanced Fax Setup
  • Scroll down to Fax Speed and set the speed to Slow (9600)

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

CHANGING THE SPEED WORKS.  THANKS

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.