Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

How do I scan multiple pages to a single file on hp photosmart 6510? Each page scanned is being put into a separate file now. How can this be corrected?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Jeremy,

Oh, guess what. I just figured out how to scan multiple pages into one pdf file myself.  In short, the Scan software for the computer is good and works, but the Scan option on the touch screen of the printer is absolutely useless and crap unless you are only scanning one page!

When you use the scan option on the computer and start scanning, an option appears on the bottom of the computer screen with icons that say  "Add/Remove pages". If you place the next page first, then click the "Add page" icon, it will scan the next page..You have to click this icon for each additonal page. Then it does save them all to one pdf file!! But I guess that means you must have your computer and printer near each other to scan multiple pages..lol. 

FYI..I am a Registered Nurse. I have no computer training except to use the system we use to chart on at work , but I am pretty smart with computers overall.  The HP techs should have been able to figure this out and solve this problem before me! Don't you think?

Anyways, PLEASE pass this information on to the HP techs so they know how to help the next person who calls about it.  And have the printer engineers upgrade the Scan option on the printer screen itself. It sucks!

Have a great day...

Danielle

View solution in original post

64 REPLIES 64
HP Recommended

Hi-

I am assuming that you are using a scan shortcut for PDF as JPG does not support multi-page files.   On the main screen of the software, you can adjust the settings of the shortcut you are using by going to "advanced settings" and then going to the File tab.   From there you should see a check box for "Create a separate file for each scanned page".   Make sure that this is unchecked.

Hope this helps!

Jeremy

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

Jeremy,

Actually that box was not checked, but still each scanned page is saved as separate document! I did check out every single tab and setting myself to see if I could solve the problem first... Apparently this is a problem many others are having with this printer. In one of the reviews for this printer on Amazon, the guy says he had this problem and called HP and the tech downloaded free software to his computer that solved the problem. So I did call HP today, and they didnt want to download third party software to my computer because they weren't sure about it.

I had the PHotosmart 4180 printer before this one. It didn't have this problem! When scanning, it would ask you,

" would you like to scan another page?" Then you would select Yes or Done..something like that. The tech tonight told me they "simplified" the software.  funny.. I guess they shouldn't change what isn't broken!  Right?

So now they are sending my problem to another department and are supposed to call me tomorrow. But if you have any other solutions before then, please let me know!! thank you

HP Recommended

Jeremy,

Oh, guess what. I just figured out how to scan multiple pages into one pdf file myself.  In short, the Scan software for the computer is good and works, but the Scan option on the touch screen of the printer is absolutely useless and crap unless you are only scanning one page!

When you use the scan option on the computer and start scanning, an option appears on the bottom of the computer screen with icons that say  "Add/Remove pages". If you place the next page first, then click the "Add page" icon, it will scan the next page..You have to click this icon for each additonal page. Then it does save them all to one pdf file!! But I guess that means you must have your computer and printer near each other to scan multiple pages..lol. 

FYI..I am a Registered Nurse. I have no computer training except to use the system we use to chart on at work , but I am pretty smart with computers overall.  The HP techs should have been able to figure this out and solve this problem before me! Don't you think?

Anyways, PLEASE pass this information on to the HP techs so they know how to help the next person who calls about it.  And have the printer engineers upgrade the Scan option on the printer screen itself. It sucks!

Have a great day...

Danielle

HP Recommended

Hi Danielle-

To confirm, you are using the "Scan to PDF" shortcut on your printer?   

Are you scanning documents from the Flatbed, or from the ADF?   If Flatbed, I am assuming you are adding more pages when prompted by the front panel, correct?

I just tested a 2 page ADF scan from the device front panel on a similar device here at my desk and it indeed saved it to a 2 page PDF file.

Once you report back on these details, I will ask our engineering / test team here to reproduce this and see if it's a known issue... 

Thanks again,

Jeremy

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

jeremy,

I am scanning from the flatbed, thats the only option on this printer, the photosmart 6510. Yes, im adding more pages when prompted by the touchscreen on the printer. It still just saves each page to a separte pdf file.  The only way to scan multiple pages using this printer is to open the printer software on my laptop and click on the scan option that way, and then then you can scan multiple pages to one file. They apparently oversimplified the actual printer touchscreen to a kindergarten level and to scan using the actual printer touchscreen it will only do one page to each file. Do you have something to correct this on the printer?  It would be nice to scan multiple pages just using the printer itself and not having to open the printer software program on my computer! It is disappointing since I could do anything I wanted from the control buttons on my old printer, the Photosmart 4180

[Personal Information Removed]

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi-

We had our testers try this on a 6510 and they could not reproduce the issue.  When they chose either of the Document shortcuts, a multipage PDF was created.  Can you please confirm exactly what Scan shortcut you are using?  Here's what our tester tried:

1. Select “Scan—Computer--Computer name—“Document to File” shortcut” from device
  2. Click Scan button
  3. Click Yes after 1st page scan finished
  4. Click Scan to start 2nd page scan
  5. Click No to finish multi-page PDF scan
  6. Check result on PC, 2 pages were saved to one PDF file.

There are 4 shortcuts on device: “Photo to File”, “Photo to Email”, “Document to File” and “Document to Email”. Multi-page were saved to separate JPEG file if using “Photo to File” and  “Photo to Email” shortcut. Multi-page were saved to one PDF file if using “Document to File” and “Document to Email” shortcut.

Thanks

Jeremy

HP Recommended
I used the scan to computer shortcut.. Document to file.... Selecting my computer name. It is scanning to computer wirelessly. It lets me scan multiple pages but each go to a sepate PDF file on my computer.. The box that says scan each page to separate file is NOT checked either. Read the reviews on this printer on amazon.com. A guy there describes the same problem and says an HP tech entered his computer and downloaded something free that fixed the problem. Do you know what that is?? Danielle
HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.   I tracked down that review on Amazon.com.   I'll see what we can do to figure out what the agent did on the customer machine to resolve this.

Jeremy

HP Recommended

Hi Danielle-

Agents reported back that they've resolved this issue in the past with that check box that enables/disables the multiple pages to separate files.   Not exactly the answer I was looking for.

Just to make sure that ALL your shortcuts are set up correclty, can you do the following:

1)  Launch HP Scan

2)  For each shortcut listed, click on Advanced Settings and goto the File tab

3)  If the option to "Create separate file for each scan page" is not grayed out, and is Checked, uncheck it.

4)  Repeat until you've gone thru all the shortcuts.

5)  Close HP Scan, and try doing a PDF scan from the front panel again.

Thanks

Jeremy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.