Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
hp2540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer is connected over wifi.  It prints OK but I cannot find an option to get it to scan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RoyBrock

Well, we try not to duplicate endlessly what you have already tried.  We never know, though, until told.  Smiling.

I don't know whether you can recover the functionality or not.

If you have previously unstalled the printer software, remember to Restart the computer after the software is removed and Before you install a fesh copy of the software.  Will that help?  If you did already do that and it did not work, then "restarting" is not the problem.  Rats.

If the printer software installs at all, that is, the issue is just with the Printer Assistant shortcut, then the following might help.

Create a Printer Assistant Shortcut on your Desktop

HPSE is a really nice program.  Be sure to take a look at the "Auto Detect Size" feature.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@RoyBrock

If you have not done so, download, save, and install the Full Feature Software for the printer.

After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.

After the software is installed, look for the Printer Assistant shortcut icon on the Desktop named for your printer.

Open the Printer Assistant (takes several seconds to open...) >

Tab Scan

Select Scan a Document or Photo

How to > Read: How to Scan (Windows)

Consider:

HP Scan Extended – Exceptional free HP scan program:  HP Scan Extended features include (and are not limited to): Single, Multiple scans, Image and PDF scans, Page Size choices include Auto-Detect (extracts image / document boundary). Download, save, and install to use.

NOTES

• HPSE is an older subset of the printer software; features are very similar to scan software included in 2015 or newer Full Feature Software packages.
  • If you have the newer version of the scan software inside your Full Feature Software, use that: Printer Assistant shortcut icon on Desktop (named for printer) > Scan a document or image (wording varies).
  • Although the HPSE program works as a separate program, HPSE is dependent on the infrastructure provided by the printer software. The Full Feature Software for your printer should be installed before installing HPSE.

NAPS2 -- Not another PDF Scanner – free program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s).  Includes OCR.  Download, save, and install to use.

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer series

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt response.

After the software is installed, look for the Printer Assistant shortcut icon on the Desktop named for your printer.

Open the Printer Assistant (takes several seconds to open...) >

Tab Scan

And that is exactly the problem.  The icon is" HP Deskjet 2540 series" but instead of opening a menu it opens a BIN files for Printer Setup and Software.  I have been through this loop several times tonight with different solutions from here but alsways teh same end product.  Now if I run through HP Print and Scan Doctor it proves the system and offeres me a Test Scan.  That works and I managed to scan the document I wanted but it is not the scan program I am used to.

HPSE works so at least I now have better functionality.

Any way to recover the later full feature scanner?

Roy

HP Recommended

@RoyBrock

Well, we try not to duplicate endlessly what you have already tried.  We never know, though, until told.  Smiling.

I don't know whether you can recover the functionality or not.

If you have previously unstalled the printer software, remember to Restart the computer after the software is removed and Before you install a fesh copy of the software.  Will that help?  If you did already do that and it did not work, then "restarting" is not the problem.  Rats.

If the printer software installs at all, that is, the issue is just with the Printer Assistant shortcut, then the following might help.

Create a Printer Assistant Shortcut on your Desktop

HPSE is a really nice program.  Be sure to take a look at the "Auto Detect Size" feature.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Short Answer - Fixed.

Longer Answer - clean boot, uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted etc etc.  Eventually got the HPSE program.

Solution - worked through  Create a Printer Assistant Shortcut on your Desktop following the X64 route as my computer is 64 bit.  This did not work.  I then tried the X86 folder and:

HP Scan – Create Shortcut from Executable

• Open a File Explorer / Windows Explorer Window

• Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\PrinterName\bin o Replace “PrinterName” with the name of your printer o Example: C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP OfficeJet Pro 8740\bin

• Right-Click on the HPScan.exe file > Send to > Desktop (create shortcut)

Got the shortcut and it worked.

Short solution:  Look in X86 folder

HP Recommended

@RoyBrock

Excellent.

Software location does depend on the printer, the software, the version and bit-version installed.

I updated the document to better reflect the possible alternative location for the Printer Assistant (printer software).

For those reading:

Note that in some installations, the printer Software is indeed located in "C:\Program Files\HP\Printer-Name" and the accompanying scan software is located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Print-Name"

Alternatively,

Both Printer Software AND the Printer Scan software may be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Printer-Name

It appears that the document section HP Scan – Create Shortcut from Executable is already correct (reflects the "(x86)" path.

Regardless, thanks for the feedback - I will double check everything and then republish the document.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.