Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HPOfficeJet4620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Installed my OfficeJet4620 all-in-one on my new Win10 HP computer, downloading the correct drivers for Win10.

The scanner icon (on desktop on the old XP machine) is no longer there. I tried to find it in the OfficeJet folder in Program Files, but there is no scan.exe or similar to put a shortcut on the desktop.

Have been through about 3 reinstallations of the software, print/scan doctor, followed the HP Installation Failure recommendations and tried the suggestions I see on the forum. Not working for me.

To clarify: I *can* scan. To do this however, I have to click on printer icon on desktop, which opens the HP Printer Assistant, then immediately opens a web page for e-printing. I then have to toggle back to the printer assistant, and then click on Scan in order to get to the scan dialog. That's 3 steps to achieve what was previously one - in fact, it was a simple keystroke thing - Win-D, H (desktop, H for HPScanner). This is enormously frustrating. Same printer, why not same process?

Surely it should be possible to put a scanner shortcut on the desktop? Where do I look for the *.exe file, and what is it called?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks - this is exactly what I was trying to do.

I thought I must be losing it when the HPScan.exe file was there staring me in the face, but then I realised I had been looking in C:\Program Files\HP\HP Officejet 4620 series\Bin  rather than C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Officejet 4620 series\bin.

I'm surprised the printer showed up in both places. If I'd realised it could, it would have saved me hours of fluffing round.

Anyway, problem solved now, thank you.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Further to this: the scanner no longer shows up in Device Manager as a separate function (though the fax does, pity, why fax when you could scan and email?).

Nor does it show up under Control Panel>Hardware & Sound>Devices & Printers, though every other function of the printer appears there and I could create a desktop shortcut from any one of those.

What on earth has happened? Where has my scanner gone? And why does it still work if I travel the long, roundabout route, if it's not there as a device?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

HP Recommended

Hi,

From Windows Ecplorer browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Officejet 4620\bin

Righr click on HPScan.exe and select Send To > Desktop.

Using the shortcut added on your desktop you may now directly access the HP Scan program.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks - this is exactly what I was trying to do.

I thought I must be losing it when the HPScan.exe file was there staring me in the face, but then I realised I had been looking in C:\Program Files\HP\HP Officejet 4620 series\Bin  rather than C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Officejet 4620 series\bin.

I'm surprised the printer showed up in both places. If I'd realised it could, it would have saved me hours of fluffing round.

Anyway, problem solved now, thank you.

HP Recommended

Great to see it is now resolved.

Generaly, as a tip for any furture need, once an application running you may open the task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+E)

Right click the application and select Show File Location, that will immediately launch the applicaion's folder.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I have a Photosmart 5520 and ince I updated to Windos 10, the scan icon on the taskbar is no lnger shwoing.How do I get it back, please ? thank you

HP Recommended

What I simply did was go to the Printer/Scanner (Control Panel) and created a shortcut of the printer on the desktop.  Just right click on the icon and click "scan".  This may be the fastest way you can do the scanning.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my Officejet 863.  I found the "HP Scan.exe" file and I put a shortcut on my desktop.  When I clicked on the "HP Scan" icon a window popped up saying "8630 Printer not found."  Where do I go from here?

HP Recommended

The posted solution did not work for me and my Officejet 8630.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.