Post new question
Top Student
Message 1 of 13 (8,460 Views)

paper mismatch Hp 8600

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium.  All of a sudden when I want to make a copy from either the feeder on top or the flatbed glass I get the Paper Mismatch error and the paper just feeds through blank.  However when I print from the computer everything goes smoothly and it prints correctly.  Why when using the Copy option is the paper mismatched?  I have tried different kinds of paper and tried rebooting the printer and all to no avail.  I dont think it it the paper as it worked fine for a month now just all of a sudden has a copy problem.  I use this for work and need to make copies soI would really like this issue resolved.  Please help if you can.  Thank You.

PhD Student
Message 2 of 13 (8,446 Views)

Re: paper mismatch Hp 8600

Copy has it's own paper size setting, you need to change it to the size that match the paper loaded.
Top Student
Message 3 of 13 (8,444 Views)

NOW it wont even print from the computer anymore , it gives the mismatch paper error for that now too, also will not print Faxes received either...This is a brand new Printer, just got it 4 more maybe 5 weeks ago.....please any help is requested on suggesting what to do.

Top Student
Message 4 of 13 (8,443 Views)

All settings are in the systems correctly, all are letter settings....I do not know what else to try...  I have changed it on the printer directly and on the assistant that is on the computer however they were all already on the correct setting...I changed it to legal and then changed it back, none of that has worked and the not printing from the computer or the faxes has just started as I could print from the computer earlier.

Message 5 of 13 (8,428 Views)

Having the same probleming - Paper Mismatch error when printing or trying to print a Fax from memory

27" iMac, OS X 10.8.5

Driver: HP Inkjet 3 Driver 3.3.3

Firmware: CLP1CN1322CR

Message 6 of 13 (8,397 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi ksoc,

I understand that you are getting an error of paper mismatch when you are printing. Could you please follow the steps in this document for 'Paper Mismatch,' or 'Paper Size Mismatch' Error Message .

Let me know if this helped.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
Message 7 of 13 (8,374 Views)

Don't know if you resolved the problem. If you did then this might help similarly frustrated HP8600 users!!

Had the same thing when trying to copy but NONE of the proposed solutions I found online helped me. In the end I solved it myself by trial and error.

Hope this helps for you too:

• in the copy menu select 'settings'
  • in the settings menu selct 'quality'
  • in the quality menu change from 'normal' to 'draft'

Exit and return to the copy menu and (based on my experience) you should be able to copy with no problem.

I'm not a techy and so I have no idea why this worked . . . just glad it did!

Message 8 of 13 (8,131 Views)

Wow this actually worked. Not sure how you stumbled upon this but it did do the trick. I was having the same problem with the mismatch error only when trying to copy. Once I changed the print quality to draft everything worked perfectly. Funny thing is I changed it back to Normal and still working fine. 

Thanks again, NICE JOB!

Message 9 of 13 (6,862 Views)

I was having the same problem. Changing to draft for copying worked, but then the copies weren't high enough quality. When I changed back to normal, the problem was back.

I finally resolved the problem by downloading new drivers and reinstalling the printer. Who knows why?

Message 10 of 13 (4,289 Views)

After several hours trying to resolve this 'Paper mismatch' error on my 8600 Premium that I use lightly in my home office, including a couple calls to HP support, and when I was just about to throw it away and buy a new printer on Amazon, I resolved the problem!  I'm going to share because it was tricky and I only did this step because I figured I had nothing to lose if I broke the printer and was upset that this printer had done so little printing compared to my printers at work. I had already tried numerous things including updating the HP device driver (printer hardware driver) and HP the software driver for Windows. I am a software engineer and also good mechanically. 

First I unplugged the printer. I opened the door where you replace the print heads. I reached in with my left hand and grabbed the print heads that were to the right and physically pulled them all the way to the left. If you have tried all the other support recommendations (e.g. updating firmware, updating driver) don't worry about breaking anything. The heads may take some force to move, but move them all the way left. I looked in with a flashlight and saw that there was a crunched up piece of paper that the print heads had smashed against the right side of the internal cavity. I couldn't previously see this crunched up paper that was being hidden by the print heads. I don't know how it got up there and was hidden so perfectly. It was a test!

I then plugged the printer back in and waited for the printer to be ready. I pressed 4 times the return / counter-clockwise arrow button,  which is below the left < button, which is below the home button. Shine a flashlight on the printer panel to more clearly see these buttons. This brings you to the Support Menu.  Scroll using the right > arrow to the 'Resets Menu'.  Hit OK. Scroll using the right > to the 'Semi-Full Reset' selection and hit OK. (If this reset doesn't work first time, repeat it).

The printer was back and working!  How many people are throwing away perfectly fixable 86XXs that have a hidden smashed page of paper inside??  My printer was purchased in Jan 2012 and has only printed 7,672 pages (can get from printer status report) and should print many more thousands of pages.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation