Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Inkjet Pro 8710

My 8710 (8715 from Costco) as just stopped copying and scanning. The first time I try to copy, I go through the steps and click Copy/Document leave it at one copy and click either Black or Color and the screen goes to the "Copying Started" screen and nothing happens. The same thing happens if I choose Scan and if I try to scan from my computer, I get nothing. The light under the bed does not light up.

When I try a second time, it never leaves the copy menu where you select Document, photo, etc...

I did a hard reset, multiple times. Is this a simple fix or am I trashing it and getting a new one?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@70Acres

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. 

I reviewed the case regarding issues with the computer crashes randomly. I will be delighted to assist you here.  

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 😉 

However, we could try updating the firmware by following this link, Once done, re-start the computer and the printer, try copying.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer is already using the latest firmware. I have discovered that I can print from my computer, but I can not copy or scan either from the printer or using the desktop software.

HP Recommended

@70Acres

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm writing on behalf of my colleague @Barachiel, as the tech is out for the day, that said, I have reviewed your concern and the entire conversation, did some research and here's what I recommend:

Step 1: Reset the printer and check the power source

Reset the printer to calibrate the scanner mechanism, and then check the power source to confirm the printer is getting enough power to operate the copier.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Disconnect the power cord from the power source, and then wait 30 seconds.

4. If you previously connected the power cord to a power strip or multi-plug outlet adapter, reconnect the cord directly to a wall outlet to ensure the printer is getting enough power.

5. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer, and then turn on the printer.

6. If you have an HP DeskJet 3700 series printer, calibrate the scanner after resetting the printer.

7. Load the original document or photo, then start a copy job.

• If the issue persists, connect the printer power cord to a different wall outlet to determine if the original outlet is causing the issue.

• If the issue persists with a different wall outlet, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Check the scanner bar functionality

Perform a visual test of the scanner bar and light for mechanical issues.

1. Remove any original documents or photos from the scanner glass.

2. Lift the scanner lid slightly, and then press the Copy button or icon.

If the scanner light does not move or illuminate, the scanner mechanism requires servicing. Go to the end of this document to contact HP to service the printer.

Keep us posted, 

(We shall troubleshoot as a team, fight till the end and emerge - "victorious")

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.