Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I just recently connected an Officejet Pro 8600 Wireless (CM749A-N911A) Vista 32 bit.

The printer is connected wirelessly (no ethernet cable) to a wireless network using a cable modem and a Netgear router.

I can print wirelessly from either my DT or my LT. The printer's wireless tests show it is connected to my network.

What I want to do is scan to my computer, every time I try i get a message telling me that it can't find the 8600.

I can scan to a flash drive with no problem.

What do I need to do to scan to my computer wirelessly or is it only designed to scan to an internet location??

Thanks

Don

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's taken me 2 whole days but I tracked down the solution for my HP6500A plus all-in-one. It suddenly lost the ability to scan to computer after working fine for a year. Windows Image Acquisiton, needed to scan, was not running, and I could not get it turn back on. This is the fix, for me anyway.

Press Start menu and type in SERVICES, then click on SERVICES when screen opens.

SCROLL DOWN TO WINDOWS IMAGE ACQUISITION AND SEE IF IT'S RUNNING. IF NOT, START IT. THIS IS WHERE I HAD THE PROBLEM, AS I COULD NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO ACTIVATE THIS SERVICE. THEN I FOUND OUT THAT THE WIA DEPENDED ON 2 OTHER SERVICES TO FUNCTION PROPERLY.

THEN SCROLL DOWN TO: REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL, SEE IF IT IS RUNNING. IF NOT, ACTIVATE IT.

THEN SCROLL DOWN TO: SHELL HARDWARE DETECTION, AND ACTIVATE IT. THIS WAS THE PIECE THAT FINALLY SOLVED MY ENIGMA!!!

THE SCAN FUNCTION WORKED IMMEDIATELY, AND THE WINDOWS FAX AND SCAN ACTIVATED ALSO.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

It's taken me 2 whole days but I tracked down the solution for my HP6500A plus all-in-one. It suddenly lost the ability to scan to computer after working fine for a year. Windows Image Acquisiton, needed to scan, was not running, and I could not get it turn back on. This is the fix, for me anyway.

Press Start menu and type in SERVICES, then click on SERVICES when screen opens.

SCROLL DOWN TO WINDOWS IMAGE ACQUISITION AND SEE IF IT'S RUNNING. IF NOT, START IT. THIS IS WHERE I HAD THE PROBLEM, AS I COULD NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO ACTIVATE THIS SERVICE. THEN I FOUND OUT THAT THE WIA DEPENDED ON 2 OTHER SERVICES TO FUNCTION PROPERLY.

THEN SCROLL DOWN TO: REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL, SEE IF IT IS RUNNING. IF NOT, ACTIVATE IT.

THEN SCROLL DOWN TO: SHELL HARDWARE DETECTION, AND ACTIVATE IT. THIS WAS THE PIECE THAT FINALLY SOLVED MY ENIGMA!!!

THE SCAN FUNCTION WORKED IMMEDIATELY, AND THE WINDOWS FAX AND SCAN ACTIVATED ALSO.

HP Recommended

After over a year of use, using a wireless router, my HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 All-In-One series quit scanning two days ago; however I could still print (wireless).

I found this post, about using SERVICES, and found that the SHELL HARDWARE DETECTION was "Disabled" and not "Started". I was able to change to "Automatic" and "Started", and the Scan functions immediately began to work.

Thank you for your "how to" post.

Not being a computer whiz, I just have to wonder now if this was more of a "work around", and the SHELL HARDWARE DETECTION has always been "disabled" on this Windows 7, 32 bit computer; or whether somehow the settings for the SHELL HARDWARE DETECTION had become changed???

I'm not going to argue with success though.

HP Recommended

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to KARAOKEJUNKIE. I followed your advice for the scanning problem on the HP 8600 wireless and it worked. Hp tech support (after 1 hour on the phone with them) told me I had a virus and it had corrupted my files. He told me I would have to upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Ultimate and it would fix my problems. They just didn't want to admit a problem - so thank you thank you. I was about ready to pack it up and take it back to the store. Merry Christmas!

HP Recommended

I find the tech support at many companies to be very insufficient. That includes Verizon and Samsung, which were totally useless in similar situations. The training just seems to stop at a certain level, and the consumer is left stranded and bewildered. The support forums are usually the best bet. And a merry XMAS to you also. And, as my screen name indicates, tomorrow is KARAOKE night!!!!!!!!!!.

HP Recommended

Thanks those informations were really usefull !!

"Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP"
HP Recommended

I have an 8600 on a wireless net with a HP desktop running Windows 7.  I have had a problem with the scanning software on the PC suddenly not working (It wil not appear when "HP Scan" is clicked).  In addition the "scan to PC" function of the 8600 produces an error message, but otherwise the 8600 performs fine.

I eventually found the solution described here, but on a microsoft forum.  The exact post is below.  I have found that the Shell Hardware Detection service wont always start on a re-boot even if it is set to "automatic" by the user, and I do not have a solution for that other than to memorize the process of restarting as necessary.  One has to wonder if there isn't a way to program around it - the HP scanning software is the only code I use that has this problem.

Below is the solution I found elsewhere:

-------------------------------------------------

In any case, thanks to all for a helpful description of the problem and solution.

To start the WIA service, you need to start all the dependency services. To start the dependency services, please follow the steps mentioned below:

-»Click on Start->Type "services.msc" and hit enter, once you get the services window up, please do the rest steps.

-»First check and note all the dependency services-:

-»Right click~ WIA->Properties->Dependency tab, Check the services name listed there.

It should contain the following services:
*Remote Procedure Call RPC .

-> >DCOM Server Process Launcher

-> >RPC Endpoint Mapper

*Shell Hardware Detection

Make sure all the above services are started in the services list.

Last time we started Shell Hardware Detection, which solves our problem.

----------------------------------------------------

(Andy, this is important. Select "Shell Hardware Detection" and start that service which should
start your "Windows Imaging Acquisition". If it does not then select WIA and change the start to 'Automatic'. This fixed my issues) After starting all the dependency services. please try to start WIA service, it should resolve the issue.

HP Recommended

PVCI: Thanks for your post, but I have a small problem:

Under my WIA--Properties--Dependency Tab:

I have the following config:

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

DCOM Server Process Launcher

Shell Hardware Detection

Remote Procedure Procedure Call (RPC)

DCOM Server Process Launcher

How do I get to where I should be.

Thanks {Personal Information Removed}

HP Recommended

Although you show this quest as solved it isn't, please refer to my answer to PVI in this same thread.

Thanks could really use some help.

Don

HP Recommended

This solution also worked for me for my Photosmart c309g-m.  My Windows Image Acquisition service was already running but I restarted it and now I can scan. <scratching head>  But it works.  Thanks for sleuthing this one out... and go apply for a job with HP Support.  They need help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.