Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Dryheat1 (et al?):

Each of the "switches" that were mentioned in the post regarding turning on services has its own spot on the services list as well as on the dependency list. 

Click on Start->Type "services.msc" and hit enter, once you get the services window up, please  perform the following steps:

First check and note all the dependency services :

Right click "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)->Properties->Dependency tab, Check the services name listed there.

It should contain the following services

Remote Procedure Call RPC .

DCOM Server Process Launcher

RPC Endpoint Mapper

Shell Hardware Detection

Assuming these are all on the dependency list for WIA, then go to the line listing for each of them on the services list and be sure that each one (they are all on the list) is started. 

If them "status" of any of them is NOT "started", then right click on that service and then under the "general" tab select the dropdown list and set them to "automatic."  They should start.  Save WIA for last.

WIA is listed as "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" on the list.  After starting any or all of the other services mentioned here, then right click on WIA and start it in the same way you did any of the others. 

Hopefully when you are done, the services list should show the Remote Procedure Call RPC, DCOM Server Process Launcher, RPC Endpoint Mapper, Shell Hardware Detection, and WIA all "started."  It should not be necessary to repeat this after shoutdowns or reboots.

If they don't start or are not on the list, I don't have an answer.

Again, my symptoms were that the HP scan application would not start even when attempted on the PC (windows 7), and attempts to send a scan to the PC from the 8600 using the 8600 scan button resulted in a failure to find the computer.  Starting the services resulted in the scan program opn the PC becoming available and the scan to PC from the 8600 panel working fine without rebooting the PC or the 8600.

I hope this will better answer your question, and let us know how you make out.

HP Recommended

In response to PVCI, the depency solution does not work for Vista x64 (Home Premium), perhaps because 

RPC Endpoint Mapper is a service that is new to Windows 7 and does not exist on vista.

When I tried the fix, I verified that all of the processes in the Windows Imaging Aquisition (WIA) dependency list of were running which were as follows:

Remote Procedure Call RPC .
DCOM Server Process Launcher
Shell Hardware Detection

However, when I tried "Scan to Computer" from the printer, I got the same old "Computer Not Found" erro from the Computer's LCD screen.

It seems that HP could provide an update to the software that allows it to work on windows x64 Home premium, or else come up with a solution.

HP Recommended
Great recommendation. My HP psc750xi would not scan on a new Windows 7 computer. Enabled the Shell Hardware detection and now all scans work including those from Wordperfect 5X wordprocessor.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem as described.  Scanning will not start from my computer, and scans started on the 8600 Plus tell me there is no connection to the computer.  But the network seems to be in place and I am printing just fine.  Occasionally while doing other things a message will float to the screen saying that the "scan to computer" feature is been disabled.  Annoying, because it has never been "abled."

I checked the services list and all the services mentioned in the preceding objection have been started.  My firewall is set to allow all HP services to come through.  What else could it be?  I also use an HP 7180 All-in-One and a Deskjet 960.

Ginnie R.

HP Recommended

Ginnie, I solved my problem with an application of PFM (Pure F-- Magic) (hope this didn't offend you.

I bought a new computer i5 running Windows 7 64 bit. When I reinstalled the printer software, I tried the scanner (wonder of wonders) it worked.

Of course there's always the possibility that I had set it up wrong the first time.

Good Luck

Dryheat

HP Recommended

Solution: Stop trying to figure it out by yourself... Just call support and they should give you a fix... They gave me a fix and it worked... although openoffice printing problems happened soon after that, and I don't know whether or not it was related to the fix or because I upgraded open office (I solved that one by exporting to pdf first and then printing from pdf)

HP Recommended

I spent several hours with HP when I had just purchased the printer. I also went through several suggestions on this forum. I finally gave up and proceeded to scan to memory card and then transfer to the computer. Finally the new computer and W7 did the trick.

dryheat

HP Recommended
How do you add a dependancy? I opend WIA but it only show RPC and not SHD in the dependancy box.
Thx,
HP Recommended

My scanner on my 8600 works great but is unable to send it to my Computor

HP Recommended

Genius - absolute genius - I would have tossed the 8600 out the window if not for you

@KARAOKEJUNKIE wrote:

It's taken me 2 whole days but I tracked down the solution for my HP6500A plus all-in-one. It suddenly lost the ability to scan to computer after working fine for a year. Windows Image Acquisiton, needed to scan, was not running, and I could not get it turn back on. This is the fix, for me anyway.

Press Start menu and type in SERVICES, then click on SERVICES when screen opens.

SCROLL DOWN TO WINDOWS IMAGE ACQUISITION AND SEE IF IT'S RUNNING. IF NOT, START IT. THIS IS WHERE I HAD THE PROBLEM, AS I COULD NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO ACTIVATE THIS SERVICE. THEN I FOUND OUT THAT THE WIA DEPENDED ON 2 OTHER SERVICES TO FUNCTION PROPERLY.

THEN SCROLL DOWN TO: REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL, SEE IF IT IS RUNNING. IF NOT, ACTIVATE IT.

THEN SCROLL DOWN TO: SHELL HARDWARE DETECTION, AND ACTIVATE IT. THIS WAS THE PIECE THAT FINALLY SOLVED MY ENIGMA!!!

THE SCAN FUNCTION WORKED IMMEDIATELY, AND THE WINDOWS FAX AND SCAN ACTIVATED ALSO.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.