Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
MFP M277wp
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I use the multifunctional printer with the drivers and scanning software that comes from HP and it works OK.

But when I want to use a third party software like IrfanView to do eg. Batch Scanning I cannot connect to the printer as it has no TWAIN driver.

So, please, is there a TWAIN driver for this model somewhere?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Got it!

It's a simple totally different problem: The TWAIN drivers were 32bit whereas IrfanView and other software were 64bit. I re-installed Irfanview as 32bit and now it shows the TWAIN drivers. 

So thank you, the hint with system32 directory made me rethink this part and solved the problem. 

Thanks

R

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi there,

For Windows 10,  I believe you want a WIA driver.  WIA uses a Microsoft driver, instead of the HP Scan software.

NOTE: The WIA driver does not support duplex scanning or .pdf formats.

To scan, do one of the following:

• To view the WIA drivers, open the Device Manager. Select your product under the Imaging devices menu. Right-click and select Properties.

• From a WIA compliant application, select Acquire image from scanner/camera.

• From a WIA compliant application, select the scan data source as MXXX WIA.

• From a WIA compliant application, select Insert.

WIA Driver tab

Driver properties.JPG

Click Driver Details button to display the files installed on your system.

WIA Driver details

Details.JPG

Generally, a software program is WIA-compliant if it has a command such as Picture/From Scanner or Camera in the Insert or File menu. If you are unsure whether the program is WIA-compliant, see the software program Help or documentation.

Start the scan from within the WIA-compliant program. See the software program Help or documentation for information about the commands and steps to use.

or

From the Windows® control panel, in the Cameras and Scanner folder (located inside the Hardware and Sound folder for Windows® Vista and Windows® 7), double-click the product icon. This opens the standard Microsoft WIA Wizard, which enables you to scan to a file.

WIA Wizard Device to Scan

select device.JPG

After selecting your product, click the Ok button to continue or the Cancel to exit.

The WIA user interface is relatively simple and does not contain the wide range of image-quality options that are available in the TWAIN-driver user interface.

WIA Wizard Scan

scan.JPG
Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi R0000

What you can do is install our generic HP Scan Extended application, which should provide a TWAIN driver that you can use with your TWAIN apps.   I tested this now with my Officejet 8630 and it seemd to work fine.   You should see a TWAIN data source called "HP TWAIN 2.1 (32-32)" in your TWAIN source selection dialog.

You can get this application and TWAIN driver from here:

HP Scan Extended

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi   For Windows.

Hope this helps!

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

Dear STRMCSR, 

what makes you think that I need a WIA driver when I ask for a TWAIN (T W A I N) driver?

Therefor unfortunatly your kind suggestion does not even touch my problem. If you have a solution for TWAIN drivers also please let me know.

Thanks in advance

R

HP Recommended

Dear fish4life, 

thanks for the try. 

But as I said in the original posting I already installed the Extended Application (and did it again with your link) but it does NOT supply any TWAIN drivers. How do you think this software should install extra drivers anyway?

Please keep on helping

R

HP Recommended

Hi R000,

It should have installed the drivers.   It's part of what that software package is supposed to do .   If you examine your \windows\system32\twain_32 directory, you should see subfolders under there that have the TWAIN drivers installed.  One of them should be "HP Scan Extended", and the TWAIN driver, data source manager, and other stuff is in there. 

You can try a tool out on the TWAIN website to see if it's able to find your drivers.   From this link, download the tool called twack_32.msi.   Install this, and run the tool.   It should have a File/Select Source menu.   That menu should present all the available TWAIN datasources installed on your system.  There will of course be some WIA ones, you don't want those.  The one that I had hoped you would see is the HP TWAIN 2.1 (32 -32), which comes from HP Scan Extended.  If you do see that, then try picking step 1 from Special menu, followed by Step 2.   Then try step 5 which is the transfer, which if all is set up, should bring up the HP Scan Extended UI as the TWAIN UI.

Let me know what you find out.

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. 

The result is disappointing: 

1. under systems32 is no twain directory whatsoever

2. Nevertheless Twack does work as you pointed out

3. Finally there is still no TWAIN driver when I try to aquire it using IrfanView (it simply says there is none)

Any ideas?

R

HP Recommended

Got it!

It's a simple totally different problem: The TWAIN drivers were 32bit whereas IrfanView and other software were 64bit. I re-installed Irfanview as 32bit and now it shows the TWAIN drivers. 

So thank you, the hint with system32 directory made me rethink this part and solved the problem. 

Thanks

R

HP Recommended

Oops, I had mean \windows\twain_32, not \windows\system32\twain_32.

And yes, the HP Scan Extended and TWAIN driver is only 32 bit, so it won't work with 64 bit apps.  Didn't think to mention that, but glad you figured it out!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.