Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
hp officejet 7510
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

my first printer was a used officejet and when it died i bought this newer model.

my problem is that i can no longer scan in jpeg at resolutions higher than 300 ppi.

I need a high quality resolution as i was able to achieve on my previous scanner.

i can scan in pdf at 1200 ppi but the quality is poor, not as good as the jpeg images.

the quality of scan in pdf results in fluffy edges and ghosting.

the reason for scanning at high levels is so i can see the paper hair on a stamps perforation tear point.

this acts as a security  'fingerprint' for identification purposes.

help to resolve this problem would be most appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

However... Try NAPS2...

Scanning issues…

Please try this scan solution:

HP Scan Extended

For Windows:   ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Check all your settings and expand all tabs and all + signs to see all options that available.  And there are a lot of them.

Make searchable PDFs scans with this free scanning software - https://www.naps2.com/   

NAPS2 also allows you to:

1. Maximize and resize the scanning screen on your computer.
  2. Scan over 300 ppi/dpi from the Glass or ADF.
  3. Save multiple pages (over 300 ppi/dpi) to one PDF file.

Let us know.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

redface...found the answer.

psd only scans 300 ppi.

pdf scans at 1200 ppi, but you have to set the scanner to scan in pdf period.

also the downsize setting has to be made or it will default to the basic small scan ppi.

tried to go back to the popup panel to check my story, could not find it.

it must be an automatic option to be made once?

strangly when the file is saved as pdf when working on the file in photoshop it can be saved as a psd file.

question why not scan in psd at 1200 in the first place ?

HP Recommended

Hi,

It is not due the file type but due the Scan Source.

When you set the Source as Automatic Document Feeder (If loaded) only 300 dpi would be offered as the ADF hardware supports up to 300 dpi.

When you change the Scan Source to Flatbed Glass, then you will be provided with higher scan resolutions as the Flatbed Glass supports up to 1200 dpi.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

However... Try NAPS2...

Scanning issues…

Please try this scan solution:

HP Scan Extended

For Windows:   ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Check all your settings and expand all tabs and all + signs to see all options that available.  And there are a lot of them.

Make searchable PDFs scans with this free scanning software - https://www.naps2.com/   

NAPS2 also allows you to:

1. Maximize and resize the scanning screen on your computer.
  2. Scan over 300 ppi/dpi from the Glass or ADF.
  3. Save multiple pages (over 300 ppi/dpi) to one PDF file.

Let us know.

HP Recommended

thanks for your reply

it's good to know someone is there.

i did find a solution before your reply but it seems different to your solution.

i could not scan in jpeg higher than 300 in GLASS FLATBED

I did find i could scan at higher levels using pdf again in GLASS FLATBED.

but this needed undersizing in a pdf scan to achieve a scan of1200 , again confusing.

i then used the scan in PHOTOSHOP where i could then save it at the higher resolution of 1200 in PSD form.

My point was that before i could scan at 1200 in jpeg and now i have to scan in pdf for the same results.

when all my  historic scans have been converted to psd  from jpeg scans at 1200 to find the present changes was confusing.

So why the scan in jpeg is restricted to 300 i do not get it.

Again thank your for your interest.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.