Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Ink Advantage 1515 printer
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

What is the difference between scanning "Photo to File" and "Photo to TIF".  I understand that one is a smaller file and the save is quicker, but is the larger file better for future enlarging, editing etc.?

Thanks.

Leah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @leahf,

I read your super quick reply. You've been very knowledgeable with profound technical expertise and an uncanny knack of paying attention to detail. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

When you get two options and both save the image as a TIFF file and if both the options did the same thing, the whole purpose of providing two options will be lost. So as you rightly stated the larger TIFF file could be used for photo editing and other related purposes while the smaller file (Photo to File) option saves it as a smaller TIFF image for using the file for normal purposes like posting on Instagram, Facebook  and other purposes after cropping with a standard photo editing tool which does not have very high end photo editing features.

Hope this answers your question. You've been simply fabulous to work with and it has been an absolute honor to share this platform with you given your technical competence. Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a superb year ahead and stay healthy 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @leahf,

Good Day. Thank you for taking an interest in the HP community. I understand that you require assistance regarding the difference between a photo to file and photo to TIFF while scanning and saving it from the printer. I will be really glad to assist you here. 🙂

Fabulous description and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. )

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you check in what file format the files get stored while scanning?

For now, let me explain the differences.

• For day to day scenarios a normal JPEG file format or GIF format is good for scanning and saving it.
  • A TIF file format takes up abundant disk space and is used for lossless image quality photo editing.
  • It is called Tagged Image File Format.
  • For more information please check this link: http://hp.care/2wvMmsN
  • I hope this answers your question.

This This is a third party link. Please follow only instructions on it. Do not click on any image, link. ad, download or icon. It is strictly to follow instructions and screenshots (if found) only. Please adhere to this.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply but I guess I was not clear in my question.  I deliberately chose the TIFF format over the others because of the advantages for my purpose.   However, with the HP Advantage printer 1515 I can save a photo as a TIFF file in two different ways. 

One is to choose "Photo to File" and then choose TIFF as the type.

The other is to choose "Photo to TIF" which also saves the photo as a TIFF file.

I tried both options.  The photo is saved as a TIFF type in both cases,  but the one saved as "Photo to File" is a larger file.  Since they are not the same size, my understanding is that although both give a TIFF file, one must be different from the other (and is not an issue of two different ways of doing the same thing).

Thanks.

Leah

HP Recommended

Hi @leahf,

I read your super quick reply. You've been very knowledgeable with profound technical expertise and an uncanny knack of paying attention to detail. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

When you get two options and both save the image as a TIFF file and if both the options did the same thing, the whole purpose of providing two options will be lost. So as you rightly stated the larger TIFF file could be used for photo editing and other related purposes while the smaller file (Photo to File) option saves it as a smaller TIFF image for using the file for normal purposes like posting on Instagram, Facebook  and other purposes after cropping with a standard photo editing tool which does not have very high end photo editing features.

Hope this answers your question. You've been simply fabulous to work with and it has been an absolute honor to share this platform with you given your technical competence. Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a superb year ahead and stay healthy 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @leahf,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with.

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.