Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Just successfully scanned a photo using my HP209a printer.  It scanned to my USB drive in an unusable format *.VFS.  Need JPG file.  HELP!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Usually the DCIM folder is the default imaging folder on most devices.

I was an HP employee.

Kudos are appreciated if I have helped you.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello,

The .VFS is a temporary file to enable faster browsing from the card. It is not the actual scan.

Some model have a setting where you can turn this off.

Solution

The All-in-One allocates 2% of the memory card capacity for thumbnails in the form of a .VFS file to make browsing faster.
By default, the faster browsing option is set to on. This creates the .VFS file.
To turn this feature off and eliminate the .VFS file, follow these steps:
  1. Press Setup.
  2. Use the down arrow key to select Preferences.
  3. Press OK.
  4. Use the down arrow key to select Enable Faster Browsing.
  5. Press OK.
  6. Select OFF.
  7. Press OK

I was an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I did that.  Can't imagine why one would want to save an unuseable scanned file in the *.VFS format. 

I followed your instructions and then checked my USB drive.  The *.VFS file had been in plain view, but I had to do a search to find the *.jpg file, buried in an existing DCIM folder on the USB drive.    Do you know why it would save the jpg file to a folder (there were other folders) instead of saving it to the G: drive?

Anyway, thanks!

E

HP Recommended

Usually the DCIM folder is the default imaging folder on most devices.

I was an HP employee.

HP Recommended

THANK YOU!   My wife particularly thanks you as we can now get her pic's onto her pc.

HP Recommended

Thank you. I scanned to a USB key and although I did not find or have a DCIM folder; your reply sent me on a search for some folder similar. The scanner had created its own folder HPSCANS and dumped the scan there.

HP Recommended

This did not work for me.  I'm still stuck with an unsable format.

HP Recommended

In Officejet Pro 8720, the suggestion for turning off .VFS scans is irrelevant (there is no down arrow, etc).  The more important issue is why an otherwise fabulous printer creates an unusal file that can't be opened.  Please fix this -- AND tell me how to convert a VFS file to a PDF ("scan" = PDF).  Thanks!

HP Recommended

YOU ARE AMAZING!!! I just spent over an hour trying to find a "safe" program to open the .vfs file. Following your directions, I located the actual scan!! In a completely different folder structure, which is stupid . . . but you are amazing. THANK YOU 🙂

HP Recommended

I found it in HPSCANS and the advice about going to preferences is not applicable for my printer.  What I don't understand is that before I did the scanning I specifically picked PDF and it also created this unneeded and confusing VHS file.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.