Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
PSC 1315 all-in-one

Hi, 

I've got an old hp psc 1315 printer, and I can print and copy, but I can't scan to my macbook. I know it's old, but it is on the list with Mojave compatible printers. 

When I choose 'open scanner' it says there is no software. I can search for software, but then it says 'software installation failed'. I tried installing software from the internet but that didn't change anything either. 

Can anyone tell me if there is any available software form macOS Mojave at all, and where to find it?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@tessa23

A warm welcome to HP Forums! This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I believe HP Easy Scan is compatible with mac OS 10.14 Mojave. Try removing the existing Scanner Application and then installing HP Easy Scan.

Here is how to do it:

1.) Open Finder, click Applications.

2.) Delete the existing HP scanner applications by moving it to trash.

3.) Download and install HP Easy Scan from here

Instruction on how to use HP Easy Scan can be found here

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Senan6806 , I installed HP easy scan, but it can't find my scanner... Read that I should reset the printer system, did that, but it didn't work sadly... 

HP Recommended

@tessa23

That's unfortunate 😞

It could be an issue with the printer software and driver installed on your Mac. Removing the existing driver and then adding a compatible driver may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

Please ensure that the Mac is up to date with it's software. If you are unsure you may use the steps available here to update the Mac software.

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
2.) 
Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select your printer name in the Use menu on the Add screen

6.) Try to print and scan.

Keep me posted!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help, but it's still the same. It gives me a notification saying there is no software for this scanner, and if I want to download the software. I click okay, it goes searching for software, and then says 'software installation failed'.

HP Recommended

@essa23

We could try using Apple Image Capture:

1.) On your Mac, open Finder

2.) Click Applications and open Image Capture

3.) Select your printer name under Devices or Shared devices. 

Refer to this document for instructions on how to scan using Image Capture.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your quick replies!

Even with image capture it gives the same screen saying I need to download the software, but then it failes to install the software. 😞

HP Recommended

@tessa23

You are welcome! Could you please send me a screen shot which says "need to download software".

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm having a similar issue - unable to scan with PSC 1315 all-in one when connected to Mac device (iMac) running Mojave 10.14.6.  I was unsuccessful trying to scan using Apple's Image Capture app as well as HP Easy Scan.  

What I tried:

Apple icon>System Prefs>hp psc 1310 series highlighted in left pane, select "Scan" then "Open Scanner"

I get a pop up stating "Software for this device is not installed... Scanning software for this printer is available from Apple. Would you like to download and install it?"

I click "Install",  get progress box showing "Finding software..."  then "Software installation failed".

I engaged AppleCare and we uninstalled the printer and then added it again with no improvement.  We then installed HP Easy Scan and that also didn't work.  At that point they recommended I engage HP Support, and I stumbled into this thread.

Wondering if this issue was ever resolved, or if there's anything I can do to assist with the troubleshooting?   Many thanks for any suggestions.

HP Recommended

Hi @SaltCity44

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist.

HP PSC 1315 All-in-One Printer is not AirPrint compatible. Kindly install the printer driver from HP Support site.

Click here to download.

To know how to scan from Apple Image capture, refer to this document.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click here to know how.

Try scanning.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.