Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 3050 ALL-in-One printer J610a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Tried to scan a document today. Started "HP Printer Assist" & it tried to do the work.

But after a while it displayed the error message: "scanner unreachable".

(Note: it has worked for many years!)

Then tried to run "HP Print & Scan Doctor 5.3". After it identified my product, it continued on the next page where it tried to communicate with my printer, it went DEAD!!! No error messages.

Just DEAD! I had to use task manager to clear it! 

I even tried HP Virtual Agent. It did not help at all!

I then ran Driver Easy to check for printer updates. None!

Will someone please help me resolve this issue! Many thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @WSC-screen

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Are you able to print from your PC?

Check the connectivity between the printer and the PC.

How is the printer connected, USB or Wireless?

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Use HP Smart app to scan

Click here to download and know more about the app.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried to reset the printer, but didn't help!  Thank you for your help anyway!

HP Recommended

@WSC-screen, thank you for the response.

Did you try the other steps mentioned in the previous post?

Are you able to print?

How is the printer connected to the PC?

Try using the HP Smart app to scan and check if the issue persists.

Let me know how this goes for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, to answer your questions: Yes, my printer can print and copy, just cannot scan!

Before I posted my issue on the community forum, I had tried everything I could think of,

such as: search the knowledge database, chat with the virtual agent, run HP Support Assist,

and run HP print & scan doctor --- all of no avail!

I have had this scan problem for a week now, and I am falling behind with my work. 

Out of frustration, this afternoon, I went to Best Buy and bought a new printer!

I want to thank you again for your trying to help. Even though this issue

has not been resolved, but I do feel your sincerity and warmth as a community friend!

WSC

HP Recommended

@WSC-screen

That's unfortunate. If the printer is still connected, use HP Scan extended to scan and check if the issue persists.

Click here to download.

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

If the issue persists, Check the WIA service

1. Hold down the Windows Logo key  on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box

2. Type services.msc and press Enter

3. Locate Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) 

4. Right click and open Properties

5. Stop the service from the General tab and then Start it again

6. Verify that the Startup type is set to Automatic rather than manual. 

7. Also, look for 'Shell Hardware Detection' in the list of services. If it is not enabled/started, make sure to enable/start the service, and make sure the Startup Type set as Automatically from its properties.

8. Locate the 'Remote Procedure Call (RPC)' in the list of services. If it is not enabled/started, make sure to enable/start the service, and make sure the Startup Type set as Automatically as well.

Alternatively, you may reinstall the HP full-featured driver

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Try scanning.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.