Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

RE: HP Office Jet Pro 8500 wireless;    verticle line appears about 1 inch from my left margin on all scanned documents.  Any ideas for me? Thanks, T

53 REPLIES 53
HP Recommended

Hi,

Does the same issue appear by placing the original both on the Scanner glass or the top document feeder?

Can you see the same by copying?

From my experience, the issue most likely appear due to dirty or dusty scanner glass, try cleaning it according the steps below and check for any improvement.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01618140

Please let me know of any improvement.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Cleaned and cleaned but vertical line still shows up on scanned documents that went through feeder. Again, vertical line doesn't show up on documents scanned on the glass:(

HP Recommended

Hi, I am having the same type issues, and I came across your question. My problem is totally different now that I have read your issue but knowing or thinking I know how your printer works, maybe I can help...

Your 8500 pulls the paper through the feeder and is only seen by the scanning surface on the far left (when looking at the printer) when it passes under a paper roller. That is the reason that when you place doc's to be scanned on the glass you have no issue with lines. This is the scanning glass that is probably dirty, not the entire glass surface like the above link mentions to clean. And to be exact the problem that you may find is a little spec or dot of whiteout or something of the like that has dried onto the small glass surface. When the doc passes over the spec, it looks as though it is a line on the printed page because the scanner is not moving during this scan procedure (as it does when you place your doc on the scan glass).

HP Recommended

Your answer is correct - there is something on the glass.  I have a Officejet 6500A.  If the problem only occurs when you are scanning, you have to clean the glass/mirrored strip in the document feeder.  To clean the scanning glass,  pull up on the document feeder cover and then release the feeder roller thingy. It lifts with slight pressure.   You will see a section of mirrored glass about an inch wide.  Take a lint free cloth and clean it of any debris.  I did have to use a flashlight so I could see well enough. Before closing I used one of those compressed air dust cleaners. Then close the feeder roller thingy and the cover and try scanning.  It should be clean and all lines gone. 

HP Recommended

I have a HP Officejet 4500.  While scanning documents using the automatic document feeder (ADF), a "vertical line" appeared on each page (but not when I scanned a page placed directly on the glass plate). If you lift the black feeder cover up, and then lift up the grey plastic bed upwards as well, you will see a clear plastic sheet that has a "line" on it.  I cleaned the plastic with water and a lint-free cloth.  I also cleaned the rubber rollers.  Lay the gray plastic bed down. 

Most importantly, on the sides of the document feeder you will then see 2 silver clips.  PUSH those clips down slightly so that the black top cover will then "SNAP" down tight.  If it is not tight, the atuomatic document feeder will not pull in the pages automatically from the document feeder.  Now my ADF works well, and also pulls in pages for me to fax and scan documents.    I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Vertical lines show up on scan but not copies

HP Recommended

Are you using the feeder for both scans and copies?  If the lines show only when you use the feeder, you need to clean the feeder glass strip as mentioned in the early posts.  

HP Recommended

I am trying to figure out how to get to that smaller mirror.  One of the suggestions is to lift up the grey roller thingy.  No sure how to do that.  I have an Officejet Pro 8500.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

or how do I get to the "feeder glass strip?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.