Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OficeJet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I bought a new computer, hooked up my 'old' printer to it and now I can't scan.  I get an error that I need to make sure I hsave scanning software.  I'm out of warranty so the virtual chat doesn't work but I've been told by HP before that since I am in the ink program, I don't have to worry about that issue  Apparently, I do because there is no way that I can see to contact customer service.  Any ideas?  Do I need a new printer?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@bacardistuff 

You need printer software installed on your new computer.

There are two choices for your printer and Windows 10.

1.  HP Smart Application for Windows 10 - available from the Windows Store

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available from the Windows Store.

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

NOTE:  Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues

and

2.  The Full Feature Software available in your printer's Software, Drivers and Firmware website in category Software-Utility

HP OfficeJet 3830 series Print and Scan Driver and Accessories

You still have complete access to all your printer's website support drivers, help and documents, and the User Guide.

Online website support and drivers are provided free; these are not subject to the warranty.

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I only mentioned the warranty because that’s the message I get when I try to input my question through the website with the serial number. I had tried the HP smart app prior to posting the question. Scanning is not available because I’m offline which is weird because I am online, according to my printer and settings displays . I can even print off a copy of a website page, for God's sake.  I tried to contact HP through customer service to find out why my printer says it’s online and the HP smart says no, I‘m not but I have zero means of getting in touch with them now. I looked through the website for some means of contact but no luck and you can only spend so many minutes of your life doing stupid crap like that. I don't even know how to cancel the ink program I'm in.  I try the Virtual Agent and because the warranty is out, they give me notice to write the  community.  Like the community can help  me with an ink program.  I don’t remember it being this difficult before with trying to get a hold of customer service but it’s been a long time since I’ve had to actually contact them. I suspect I’ll need a ew printer. Thanks for your help, though. I do appreciate it!

HP Recommended

@bacardistuff 

Sorry, not following all of this as much as I should be doing., I guess.

I am sorry you are upset - even were the printer under warranty, it is difficult to get through right now - the response centers are overwhelmed with thousands of people asking for help.  Worse, the standard warranty covers hardware - not whether you are connected to the network or not.    Were the printer UNABLE to make any connection due to its hardware and were the printer under warranty, that type of failure is likely covered.   Knowing that does not make you feel better, I know.

So - another try...

Are you asking about Web Services that connects the printer to the Internet?

I think not, but now I am not sure.

Set Up an HP Smart Website Account

Web Services provides the ability for the printer to be connected to the Internet.  This is different from having the printer connected to your home network.  One connection is your local network connection for the computers, printers, and other devices in your home.  Web Services is the printer's connection to outside services, for example, ePrint.

OK - assuming you are Not using Web Services, that is, you are using the printer on your own network in your home or office...

You have installed the printer software, yes?

It sounds like you have installed HP Smart for Windows on your PC. (You posted Windows 10 as your OS in your first message.)

Open the HP Smart for Windows application

1. Is the printer connected?  That is, does the home page find your printer and show it on the menu?
  2. Are you logged into the HP Smart app?

HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_1HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_1

Check what HP Smart App can tell you about the connection.

Check  Printer Settings

HP_Smart_W10_Printer_Settings_1HP_Smart_W10_Printer_Settings_1

It is possible the printer connection to your network is indeed "on" and then "off" - the causes vary from poor connection (weak router, too far away (or even too close), obstacles (walls / cabinets / metal), incorrect configuration on either the router or the printer.  Very odd things can happen, too, like the printer rotating its IP address (using DHCP server), or even a mis-matched IP / Mac Address pairing stored in the router.

You can assign the printer a manual / static IP address, if you like (or need).

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.