Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
hp officejet 5255
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been trying to wireless fax from my 5255 to the edited using my AT&T DSL modem.    However, when sending a fax from the 5255 wireless, it does recognize that dsl connsction, it does dial...it does ring but ends up telling me the hpfaxme (hp test fax) did not answer.  I have tried using a "1" before the number, tried without.  but when I call that number from my cell phone, it answers.  maybe it is a simple as:  you cannot wireless fax to that dsl modem....I have not tried to use a cable..which I should .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@212edgewood

Faxing without phone service is not possible. You need to have an active phone line to set up Fax on the printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@212edgewood, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you have a DSL/ADSL modem connected to your phone line for your Internet, you should be able to fax over the same phone line. To improve the chance of successful faxes, connect a microfilter to the same phone cord that connects to the printer’s 1-LINE connector. Obtain microfilters from your Internet Service Provider. If the DSL modem is shared on the same phone as the printer, then use a phone splitter to connect the two devices.

1. Wall jack

2. DSL/ADSL microfilter

3. Parallel splitter

4. DSL/ADSL modem

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i may have stumbled on the problem.  after connecting a hardwire cable and filter, they results were the same..."did not connect".

so in thinking about it, the answer may be simple.  my dsl line is internet only..no telephone.  when dialing the number from my cell phone, , it says it is disconnected.   hmmmm

so down to a basic question i guess.....can i fax from my 5255 to a dsl internet connection without phone service??  or can i fax thru my cell phone?   or

tough luck...cannot fax with is setup.

thanks for any help....  rich

HP Recommended

@212edgewood

Faxing without phone service is not possible. You need to have an active phone line to set up Fax on the printer.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank you...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.