Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5055
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Ugh. Just about ready to dump HP in favor of another company. Have been on hold with support for an HOUR. Really??? Have had this printer for about 10-11 months. All of a sudden won't scan. Says "Software required." Downloaded the software. Still won't scan, still saying "software required." Super frustrated. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Also tried "Print and Scan Doctor" - unable to select printer - it shows up but is greyed out - ???? So can't go any further

HP Recommended

@sparkerart,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Let's try these steps here: 

From the computer desktop, click Start, select
Programs or All Programs, select the folder for your HP printer, and then select
the option for your HP printer. Double-click Scanner Actions, double-click Manage
Scan to Computer, and then click Enable.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to uninstall the printer from the root level and then reinstall it by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I’m having same issue as original poster. Today would have been the first time to use the scanner feature on my printer. Just bought this back in December for a Christmas gift for my father in-law. The printer is not connected to any wire device in the home it’s wireless. I feel that having to uninstall something when it’s the feature on the printer itself that’s not working properly. Printer and copier all work beautifully. Like I said today would have been first time scanner was used had it worked. I buy HP cause it’s a trusted brand and only using the printer 10/12 times tops and copier 6 times shouldn’t qualify for a software uninstall to be prompted on a new device of only 3 1/2 months old. I’m like the original poster I may give up on HP all together and buy another trusted brand like cannon or brother. I only hit print from my iPhone if not on the printer itself. So downloading the Doctor thing will take more space on my already crowded phone. Is there a way to uninstall the stuff on the printer itself or is that even possible? Or just take it back?

HP Recommended

@Angelscry2,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Are you trying to use scan to computer feature from the printer control panel to be saved on your phone, this might not be a feasible option.

However, In order to use this feature on your phone, I would suggest you install HP Smart App from this link: HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)

Once you have installed HP Smart app - Please go to Step 2: Print, scan, and copy - Now scroll down to Scan using your printer - Scan using your mobile device camera.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I wanted to scan a document from printer and send it to my phone or email address. Printer said I have to download software from 123.hp. This is coming from the printer not from phone. Printer is setup totally wireless no modem or other wires hooked to it other than the power cord. I’m trying to use the scan feature on the printer as stated I shouldn’t have to install anything on the printer it should be built in. I understand that things tend to go wrong but at 3 1/2 months old and only used a few times less the scan feature there really shouldn’t be any issues.

HP Recommended

Are you trying to use scan to computer feature from the printer control panel to be saved on your phone, this might not be a feasible option. “Again I’m hitting the scan button on the printer it tells me to download the software”

However, In order to use this feature on your phone, I would suggest you install HP Smart App from this link: HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)  “I already have that software on my phone “

Once you have installed HP Smart app - Please go to Step 2: Print, scan, and copy - Now scroll down to Scan using your printer - Scan using your mobile device camera. “I should just be able to hit the scan button on the printer and it scan what I’ve placed on the glass and then email it or whatever I want to do with it “

Again the feature on the printer should work with out having to use any other device other than the wireless WiFi that’s built in. That’s why I bought a wireless printer with WiFi!

HP Recommended

@Angelscry2,

Scan to computer feature is available only for computers and cannot be used on phone. However, if you would like to scan from the printer and want to save it on your Phone then the only option either would be scan to email or HP Smart app. 

In case, if you have a computer which is on the same network then you can install the printer software and enable scan to computer feature. With this option you should be able to go ahead and scan the document from the printer control panel and save it on your computer. 

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I hesitate to do the second solution offered...I remember I was on the phone for over an hour with an HP tech, with him controlling my PC remotely JUST to get the printer up and running. Kinda don't want to uninstall and have to go through that nightmare again. I have discovered a workaround for scanning  - rather than pressing the "scan" button on the printer, I scan from the computer and have it sent as an email. Clunky, but at least it works. BTW we have another HP printer at our other business location (HP Envy 5660) and we have the same issue. Can only scan by having it send an email. Then, on my home hp printer (!) I get a constant popup message saying the scanner isn't enabled. I must be a glutton for punishment to keep purchasing hp's becaue they clearly DON'T like to scan!

HP Recommended

I have discovered a workaround for scanning  - rather than pressing the "scan" button on the printer, I scan from the computer and have it sent as an email. “Sadly I don’t have a pc set up at this time. I’ve owned hp printers before and the scan feature button on the printer itself always worked. It’s a sad day when we HAVE TO absolutely use a computer! What about the elderly paying high price for a printer that does more than just print is outrageous especially if they don’t have a computer or cell phone to use a feature the printer has. Perhaps they need to scan something and send it via email. Well they won’t be able to cause they don’t have a cell phone or computer. Shame really “ I’m done. Scanning doesn’t work on a printer I paid for and have to use an app on a phone. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.