cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rg_98
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Blank Pages on Vist

HP Recommended

I am using a Vista laptop that prints to a networked HP LaserJet 4+ computer.  I use that for printing checks only (it has the MICR toner cartridge).  Because the printer has a Parallel port and my laptop doesn't, I have it networked over a peer-to-peer network to a system running Windows XP.

If I print from the XP computer, the print works properly.

If I print from my system, I always get a second page, blank, between every printed page.  If I print checks, it will alternate a check with a blank page.  If I print a test page from the Printer properties dialog, it prints the test page and then ejects a second page.

I checked the printer set up and found that I had form length set to 60 lines and have changed that to 66 lines but still have the same problem (and it works correctly from the XP system using the either 66 or 60 Lines setting).

I have checked on the HP site for support to see if an updated driver for the printer would help but there are no drivers other than what is available through Windows Vista.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can stop the extra page from printing?  I 'can' sort out the pages but when you run 40 checks, it is a pain.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
mh_55
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have exactly the same problem from 2 different laptops.
0 Kudos
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,048
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi,

This issue is mostly caused when the printer driver used is the one provided by Microsoft along with Vista. You can reinstall the printer driver provided by HP by following these instructions:

1. Click on the Start button, and in 'Start Search', type 'Control Printers', or just 'printers', and press the Enter button.
2. Right click on your printer icon, then click on 'Run as Administrator', and click on 'Properties'.
3. Click on the Advanced tab and click on 'New Driver'.
4. Follow the wizard, and when searching for your printer, look under 'Hewlett-Packard'. If that is not available, then select 'HP'.
5. If the printer driver is not listed there, then select the 'Have Disk' option, and choose the driver from the installation CD.
6. Finish the wizard, click on 'Apply', and try to print.

I've tried this many times, and the success rate for me is 100%. So i'm very sure it'll work.
Message Edited by DexterM on 02-25-2009 04:23 AM
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
0 Kudos
rg_98
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response, DexterM,

I attempted to follow your instructions but have run into a snag.  Since I am using a shared printer, one that is physically attached to another system on the network, the Advanced tab options are greyed out.  I can run those options on the system that the printer is attached to but it would install the driver on that system only and not on mine.

RG

0 Kudos
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,048
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi RG,

Since the printer is a shared printer, the changes have to be done on the host PC. But the changes will be applied to your printer icon also. So try that, and it should resolve the issue.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation