cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
yungdungbeetle8
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Getting a better/different/stronger antenna for HP Integrated HDTV Hybrid TV Tuner

HP Recommended

Hello All,

I have a 5 month old HP Pavilion dv8 laptop (runs Windows 7 -64bit). I bought it with the HP Integrated HDTV Hybrid TV Tuner (ATSC/NTSC/QAM/Worldwide Analog). It came with an antenna which plugs into the right side of my laptop near where the power adapter plugs in.

I would like to try to upgrade to a better antenna as I only get a few channels - I think a better antenna may help. I plan to use the laptop to coaxial adapter that you would use if you had cable (it came with the laptop). I looked at my antenna (couldn't find a part number) but did see on the antenna cable a label which read "RG-174U" which I found to be used for a 50 Ohm impedances. It seems that most (all) tv antennas for sale (best buy, radioshack, etc) are 75 Ohm impedance.

Does anyone have input on any of the following questions:

- Can I use a 75 Ohm antenna (like used to regular televisions) in my laptop (if it really comes with a 50 Ohm antenna)?

- Is there any risk of blowing my tuner if I do try a 75 Ohm antenna?

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

A side note: It seems that 75 Ohm impedance coaxial cables are pretty standard and are used to "carry video signals, TV antenna signals and digital audio signals" - would that include cable television from the wall too? In that case, anyone with this tuner and cable (using the adapter) is already switching from 75 to 50 Ohm impedence (and without too many problems either).

Thanks all!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
martyct
Level 4
102 99 1 24
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have used an outdoor antenna on my dv4t with very good results. You should have no problem with 75 ohm cable and antenna, indoor or outdoor.

I suspect the rg 174 was used for its small size and HP felt that the little loss in signal wasn't important. There will be some signal loss due to the mismatch of the antenna to the tuner, because  I  would bet that the input impedance of the tuner card is 75 ohms.

You will not blow your tuner.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation