cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DmitriBobko
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

HP 840 G1 BIOS Update via SSM shows as pending and requires a 4 digit code entry

HP Recommended

Hello,

I finally got SSM working this morning after much struggle due to Bitlocker, but for the most part got it working on most of our machines, except for the HP 840 G1. On all of the machines we simply disable bitlocker protection using c:\windows\system32\Manage-bde.exe -protectors -disable c:

and then execute the following to do the updates:

\\cmserver\ssm\ssm.exe "\\cmserver\ssm\Downloads" /ACCEPT /CPWDFILE:"\\cmserver\ssm\AdminPwd.bin" /NOCVAUPDATE /NOREBOOT /LOG:"C:\Windows\Temp" /FORCE /DEBUG

This procedure works fine on all the machines as Bitlocker is disabled, the firmware is updated, and the machine reboots and turns bitlocker back on.

Now, when doing this exact same steps on an 840 G1, I get the attached screen which says the an update is pending and that I need to enter a 4 digit code + enter to proceed with the update. This wouldn't really work for us as we are planning on pushing out a deployment via SCCM and all the machines need to silently update.

Is there a trick with these newer machines to bypass this? I did some digging online and there are some mentions of secureboot option in the bios, but all of that is disabled on our 840s so I am stuck. Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
richard429
Level 4
103 99 4 4
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What version of SSM are you using?

Also, can you attach the ssmtrace file that is created when the /debug flag is used?

thanks,

Richard

I work for HP but am not a company spokesperson.  Participation in the community forums is voluntary.

0 Kudos
DmitriBobko
Author
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am using the latest version of SSM, 3.1.6.1

I have attached the trace file. Tried this on two separate 840s and same result.

0 Kudos
richard429
Level 4
103 99 4 4
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SoftPaqs with BIOS updates for the HP EliteBook 840 G1 are:
    SP 62428 ver 01.02
    SP 64081 ver 01.04
    SP 64410 ver 01.04
    SP 64957 ver 01.05
    SP 65258 ver 01.06
    SP 65364 ver 01.07
    SP 65524 ver 01.08

I am unable to determine why the BIOS update for the 840 G1 is not behaving the same as other models you have.
There was no indication in your post of any of the other models being updated.
examples:
        HP EliteBook Folio 1040 G1
        HP EliteBook 840 G1
        HP EliteBook 850 G1
        HP ZBook 15 Mobile Workstation

These models all use a flash utility that was released in 2013.

SP65524 contains version 1.0.24.1 of the flash utility ( HPBIOSUPDREC.exe )

Newer versions of the flash utility have a command line flag to support working with BitLocker.

The latest version of SSM contains version 1.0.27.1  of HPBIOSUPDREC.exe.
SSM will compare the version in the SoftPaq with the version included with SSM and use the newer one.

A possible alternative is to add the "-b" command line flag to the silent install line in the softpaq cva file.

Note: BitLocker must still be disabled prior to running the SoftPaq.

HpBiosUpdRec-help.jpg

IMPORTANT: If you choose to edit the cva file, use a text only editor such as notepad.exe and save in ANSI format.

Save a backup copy of the cva file.

In the CVA file SP65524.cva,
change the silent install line from:
        SilentInstall="HPBIOSUPDREC.exe" -s -r

to the line:
        SilentInstall="HPBIOSUPDREC.exe" -s -r -b

Do not change any other lines.  Save, exit and rerun SSM.

Since you refer to using SCCM for a deployment, I believe BitLocker must still be disabled prior to running SSM.

SSM will then call the flash utilty using the SilentInstall string in the cva file.

I am not certain if the flash utility will allow both -r and -b together or if they are mutually exclusive.

Again - this is a possible alternative.  I do not have an 840 G1 or BitLocker to verify this.

thanks,

Richard
I work for HP but am not a company spokesperson. Participation in the community forums is voluntary.

0 Kudos
DmitriBobko
Author
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I will give this a shot today and report back.

The models that I tried on include the 810 G1 folio and the older 6570p laptop, and all of those worked fine.

I will test out adding the -b flag today and report back.

0 Kudos
DmitriBobko
Author
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tried your suggestion and still no luck, the -b flag didn't do anything to my problem and still getting the same screen as before. This is rather inconvenient as I can't push these firmware updates with SSM. Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
DmitriBobko
Author
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I did some more digging today trying to resolve other issues with our E231 displays blacking out, and noticed that if you go to HP 840 G1 bios page, it shows 1.08 as the latest version, but if you click on revisions, it shows a version 1.09 available as well (sp65778). I tried to install this with SSM and it didn't install at all, and when I looked into the CVA file I see it is looking for an 820 G1, so I think this bios was posted in the wrong area. Just for kicks and giggles I ran it manually on an 840G1 and it installed...so not sure what's that about. That versions makes mention of fixing issues with patching on encrypted drives, so perhaps a proper version is coming for the 840. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
richard429
Level 4
103 99 4 4
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The 820 G1 and the 840 G1 share the same BIOS.

SSM uses the CVA file to determine which system a SoftPaq is targeted for.

For this SoftPaq, the testing and approvals for the 820 G1 have reached the web ahead of the 840 G1.

Note the SystemInformation section in the CVA file.

[System Information]
       SysId01=0x1991
       SysName01=HP EliteBook 820 G1

As additional systems are tested and approved, a CVA file is update to include the new approvals.

Once any additional systems receive appropriate approvals, the CVA file will be updated while the SoftPaq .exe file will not change at all.

At that point, SSM would recognize the softpaq is valid for additional systems.

thanks,

Richard

I work for HP but am not a company spokesperson. Participation in the community forums is voluntary.

0 Kudos
richard429
Level 4
103 99 4 4
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

FYI - I was reviewing some of my prior posts today and rechecked on the  SP65524 SoftPaq.

The CVA file now contains the 820 G1, 840 G1, 850 G1 and the ZBook 14 workstation.

[System Information]
SysId01=0x198F
SysName01=HP EliteBook 840 G1;HP ZBook 14 Mobile Workstation;HP EliteBook 850 G1
SysId02=0x1991
SysName02=HP EliteBook 820 G1

I am not certain when approvals were complete but all should now install using SSM.

Again - SSM is dependent upon information in the CVA file.

Information on tools for client management can be found at

http://www.hp.com/go/clientmanagement

thanks,

Richard

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation