cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
angeloso
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 22
Flag Post

HP CP1700 missing cyan ink cartridge message

HP Recommended

Printer has been working fine all these years. Inserted a new cyan cartridge 2 days ago. Worked fine the first day. Next day a message appeared: "cyan cartridge missing". Did all the suggestions I read in several posts. No results.

Bought another cartridge. Got a different message: "change cyan cartridge". Started researching again and was about to order an Ink Station Supply Assembly thinking that this could be the problem.

After digging in the cabinet I found an "old" cyan ink cartridge, still unused but outdated (2010) and decided to put it in just for the heck of it. IT WORKED!

The Yellow ink which was also giving a "low ink" message, I put also an outdated (2009) unused cartridge and it also worked.

The new cyan cartridges we have been trying had an exp. date of 2013. So, we are puzzled at this and have no logical explanation for this.

Anyone else that had this experience?

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
MaryChris
Level 6
Level 6
367 362 13 42
Message 2 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Strange problem. It appears to be the cartridges rather than the printer. Did you purchase both of the new cartridges from the same source? Even new cartridges can fail if they weren't stored properly. If they got too hot or too cold  during shipping, perhaps, that could result in an early demise for a cartridge.

HP, of course, advises use of genuine HP cartridges since those have been designed and tested to work with the HP printing system. If you did purchase HP, there is a warranty and they can be returned:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00206040

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
0 Kudos
angeloso
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Mary,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes indeed a strange problem. My colleague tells me that this Cyan cartridge was also changed on the same day along with a Magenta one. The Cyan has an exp. date of 06/2013. The Magenta has an exp. date of 10/2012. The Magenta did not give any problems. The second Cyan I purchased had also the same exp. date of 06/2013 and gave the second problem message.

Yes, all these cartridges were bought at the same supplier and are original HP. But how can one prove that the cartridge is defective? And I have my doubts that this small computer store will honor the warranty without the proof. 

And what is also throwing us all off is the fact that the printer is accepting expired cartridges. We are now thinking that all this problem could have something to do with the battery/internal clock of the printer?

Will appreciate any help you can provide us as an insider.

0 Kudos
MaryChris
Level 6
Level 6
367 362 13 42
Message 4 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, somewhat of an insider. :generic:

Unfortunately, I know cartridges, but not that much about the particular printer. Will ask around, and get back to you, if this seems to be a clock problem.

In the meantime, the printer still works if you ignore the message? Then you could just ignore it, or if not, return the cartridges. If the store will not accept them back, use the contact information given in the document linked above to contact HP.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
0 Kudos
angeloso
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mary,

I appreciate your effort in this. Let me know if you manage finding out something else.

Since we installed the "outdated" cartridges the message disappeared.

When the printer was showing the messages, it will not respond because it has to get to the "Ready" status.

Hope to hear from you again.

Best regards,

Angel

0 Kudos
MaryChris
Level 6
Level 6
367 362 13 42
Message 6 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately the only person I know who might be able to answer questions about the printer is out for a couple weeks. Have you tried to reset the time on your computer to test out the theory that it might be something to do with the date? 

In the meantime, I'm not entirely sure that the problem isn't the new cartridges themselves. Have you talked with the supplier? It seems odd that more than one would be defective, but it is not an unheard of possibility.

Will keep looking for a solution.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
0 Kudos
angeloso
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now that the printer is working, I can have patience to see if the person you know can come up with some answer(s).

Resetting the time on the computer (Mac) can really complicate matters more. Especially with Time Machine.

I have not spoken to the supplier yet and don't expect much from them. They are a small shop... on a small island.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Angel

0 Kudos
sszt
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have experienced the same issue with my CP1700 printer.  I have tried changing out the ink cartridge 3 times in the past few weeks.  All three worked when initially installed but would display the same error message after a few days (not sure if this is based on the days or the power being turned off then back on).  The first 2 cartridges had an exp date of 8/2013 and the last one I tried was 12/2013.

Has there been any update on the cause of this issue?  Is your printer still working fine with the old cartridges? 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

SP

0 Kudos
angeloso
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Old cartridges have been working fine. As a matter of fact, I just placed a "new" outdated (2010) one in last week and it has been working fine. We also tried newer cartridges dated 2013 but the printer does not recognize these.

I am also waiting on MaryChris, to see if the person she knows might have some answers. But I have not heard from her again.

I have read other forums, that some people have deactivated the internal battery of the printer. I have not gotten so far yet. I am still stretching it with the stock of old cartridges that I have.

0 Kudos
MaryChris
Level 6
Level 6
367 362 13 42
Message 10 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Angel,

Sorry to take a while to get back to you.

There are two things going on here. First, the message you are getting with the newer cartridges indicates that they are defective. If the store where you got them will not take them back, you can go through HP. Details about the warranty are on that link provided in my first reply. If you make a call, make sure the agent understands the warranty is for the cartridge itself.

The date on the cartridge is when the warranty ends (the location of the date is shown on the previous link also). The older cartridges, that are working, probably haven't expired yet. Details are on the following link. The table at the bottom of the page states (for your printer type, and in part) that the expiration is "24 months after the Warranty Ends date.".

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01764161&jumpi...

Hope this is fairly clear. It is a complicated subject, but the information on the two links should help.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation