cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
vlz0
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Solved!

HP G62 black screen

HP Recommended

Hello. All of a sudden I'm having a problem with my laptop. One day it just stopped working properly. I tried starting it this morning but I only received a black screen. All the power lights are on, I can hear the fan working but only for a few seconds then it just drops dead, not turning at all. I tried one way of fixing this that I found which is to remove the battery, disconnect the adapter, hold the power button for 30-60 seconds and try again. Doesn't work. All the lights are on, the fan works for 5 seconds then dies and only black screen remains. Any way to fix this on your own?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,616 10,612 990 2,991
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many times it is a hardware failure.  Most hardware failures on a laptop are not user friendly and not the chore for a DIYer.

What is the complete model number for tha laptop.  Knowing this may help in further investigation on what to try next.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
vlz0
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
RMN HSTNN-F02C
Hope this is the one needed
0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,616 10,612 990 2,991
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are not alone.  See here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/G62-won-t-turn-on-Power-button-blinks-and-t...

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

0 Kudos
vlz0
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

None of the solutions provived fits my issue =/ I cant access any of the things that I need to even start any fix because my laptop just refuses to start up. I receive a black screen of nothing, not even a logo. The fan runs for 5 seconds and stops completely. But the power buttons light is on through the whole time until I turn off the laptop.

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,616 10,612 990 2,991
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To the repair shop I would go, or someone who is experienced with laptop repair.  I think it is a hardware problem for sure.

I'm not an HP employee.

vlz0
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was afraid that might be the problem 😞 Oh well then, repair shop it is. Thank you for the replies.

0 Kudos
nico_h
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue for 2 days now.

Background root-cause fact: For some time on boot-up, i've been getting a "your battery is low" message - which is largely irrelevant as the lappy is almost always used in plugged in mode.

Remedial steps taken:

1) removed battery, ran on mains - no immediate effect.

2) Cautiously opened underside to check for any obstructions, and gentle vacuumed wih small hose to dislodge any i could not see.

3) Replaced

4) Now fan did not start.

5) Examined fan housing - it's integral, and i was not willing to open up *entire* back (yet)

6) gentle nudged fan using small needle to check for possible particles causing blockage - moved without obvious stoppage.

7) Closed up all parts, went to bed, as was then late.

😎 Next morning, sat down to resume, and it started first time.

This tells me it is not an outright part (or total part) failure

9) Did not (foolishly) re-set power-settings to "never sleep"

10) Problem has now reverted back to initial (pre-step 1) status after the second or third "sleep" event.

I have attempted the steps to completely drain the battery, plus also (i assume this is the purpose behind the recommended "hold down the power button 30 secs) draining any internal capacitance - so far no good.

I am assuming that this may be a combination of over-heating plus poor battery performance, but am not right now in a position where i can go to a shop with good hardware tech diagnostic devices.

I would really like to hear how you got on, and will share any further success from my side, of course

Rgs,

Nic

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,616 10,612 990 2,991
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In response to nico_h and to others with similar problems.   By hardware problem I mean - it is not a software problem.  Especially on laptops, the hardware can cause numerous problems which would/could be caused by a loose connection either in a connector or a bad solder job.  A repair shop that is busy will have the expertise and the experience to look into the source for the failure.  I remember some years ago my daughter was having a problem with the Compaq 700 series laptop she had.  I had done numerous troubleshooting steps and short of taking it apart to look for bad connections, I could not find the problem.  Upon further investigation with the symptoms, it was a known problem with that model series of a hardware failure that had those symptoms.  Many shops had so many of that model with the same problem, that they would do the repair for a fixed rate, because the majority of those had the same repair needed.  It could be the same with yours. 

BTW: depending on the known failure rate for a particular series, it might be a simple phonecall to price, who knows.  It might also be more than the lappy is worth.

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
nico_h
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks oldman - quite understood, and although i do not have the tools to do microsoldering here, i am quite capable of all the steps - and yes, the fix price may be worth more than the lappy, but there are apps on it which would be onerous to retrieve, and some data also.

Before i atually open the entire casing to check (not the most tricial job on a g62) there are a few more steps i'll try in the morning - just had it sitting in a low-temp environment for last hour to check possible minor cracks or expansion issues - thats next step:)

rgs,

Nic

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation