Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

I want to change my original Power Supply with something more powerfull to use 100% capacity of my new GPU card... 

Original model is DPS-475CB-1 that allow 475 watts, I would like something up to 800 watts.

What model can be use ? 

I saw that my original model is ATX12V type, can ATX12V 2.31 or 2.2 or 2.01 can be use too ?

Thanks for help

Linked with : http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/HP-Z400-Power-Supply/m-p/2527841#M62561

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Does it mean your GPU card does not work with original PSU?  If yes, I don't recommend to replace the PSU with 800W. I'd like to recommend using memory, cpu and PSU from HP that are key components even though it's expensive due to mutiple reasons.

HP Recommended

I believe HP power supplies are not designed to ATX standard so 3rd party standard ATX supplies may not work with your HP WS and in fact may damage the motherboard if plugged in.

From the quickpsec, the only available power supply is the 475W unit as the optional 600W power supply was discontinued as of June 30 2012 (but presumably still available for spare parts replacement in units shipped with 600W PSU).

Further, HP supports Quadro 5000 video cards as the high end video card for Z400. This has a 152W consumption (75W from slot + 75W from 2x3 connector) so one can correctly assume the PSU has the one 2x3 connector for the graphics card.

Compare this to a high end games card which requires a power consumption of 300W (75W from slot +  150W from a 2x4 connector + 75W from 2x3 connector). As such, the HP Z400 PSU will not have the required 2x4 connector available let alone be able to supply the extra 150W this connector must feed in addition to the 75W slot and 75W 2x3 connector requirements.

If the rational is to use a high powered games card, you should limit yourself to a 150W card or investigate whether a HP supply from a later WS like Z420 or bigger WS like Z600/Z800 will fit mechanically, electrically and logically.

I am not sure if they do or don't fit in all ways, but in any case, HP only supports what is defined as compatible with your WS which is the 475W and now obsolete 600W PSU with at best a Quadro 5000. Anything else and you may not be able to get the support you might expect.

[edited to correct spelling]

HP Recommended

Agree fully with John L and Skylarking...... HP workstations have special engineering on their motherboards and non-standard power supply wiring, as a result.  If you like wiring projects you can do some searches and see if you want to convert from a conventional power supply to the HP wiring..... there's a post out on the internet with pics on how a guy did that with a Corsair power supply for a Z400.  Accept that you may blow your motherboard if you try such things.

I tried a xw6600's HP power supply in a xw6400..... luckily I did not blow the motherboard but it sure was squawking at me the moment I powered up the xw6400.  In the technical and service manuals for the workstations there usually is a pinout for the viarious connectors, I later discovered, and they are significantly different even between those two closely related workstations, and non-standard.  The various notations in the manuals may make sense to an electrical engineer, but I gave up on my idea of transplanting the highwer wattage xw6600 power supplies into the xw6400s due to the multiple changes that had been made.

Attached is the latest QuickSpec for the Z400, version 54 (!), from 3/8/13.  If you search in there for "power" you'll find that the 475 watt version was phased out 6/12, and a 600 watt version is available, HP part number 629049-001.  <<<EDIT.... 10/15..... CORRECT HP SPARE P/N IS 626409-001 AND  CORRECT HP ASSEMBLY P/N IS 626322-001 FOR THE 600w Z400 POWER SUPPLY>>>  I'd buy that instead of trying to make a conversion one, personally.  I found one of the HP 600 watt versions for $135.00 pretty quickly, used, via google.  These probably don't come up often, however.

HP provided links to the 475 versus 600 watt version specifications in that QuickSpec, also attached here.

Scott

HP Recommended

If you do want to drop a powerful gaming card in, one of the crazier ideas I've read of is to take a completely separate modular ATX PSU, short out the necessary pins to make it think it's plugged into a mother board, and use the PCIe power connectors to get power to your high-end gaming card. I'm not sure how practical, or even safe, this is, but I've read of at least person using this technique. You would have to leave the extra PSU on the outside of the workstation (which could obviously pose problems) and run the PCIe cables through a PCI slot in the back of the PC. A modular, fanless PSU would work best to eliminate unnecessary extra cables and prevent fan obstructions.

I recently purchased a refurbed Z400, and have been pondering the same question. Given the risks involved with the above solution, I'll probably just look for a Delta DPS-650LB on eBay if I do decide to upgrade the Quadro FX 4800 it comes with. It does seem odd that a system with so many PCIe slots available shipped with relatively wimpy PSU.

HP Recommended

By including a separate PSU just for a GPU, you need to resolve a number of issues related to voltage differences causing loop currents, electrical noise, heat generation within the case, management issues (BIOS manages fan control), packaging, etc.

The reality is that one can get anything to work in a potentially 'unreliable' fashion with a resultant shorter life span. The difficult bit is to make it reliable and within the same design parameters/life as the original system and in a nice package.

I still think that the best approach, if one doesn't have the needed electronic & firmware/software design skill, is to look at a Quadro card (supported by HP) or <150W GeForce card (not supported HP) in a Z400. Using the obsolete 600W HP PSU in the Z400 still does not resolve the missing connectors and heat issues produced by a powerful gaming card (with as max power budget limited to 275W for the graphics card in this case).

HP Recommended

z400 PSU to ATX adaptor

find more details in corsair forum, I solved this issue few years ago with z400

another problem which come with HP 600W PSU for z400 is very noisy when you use non "HP Quadro"cards

adaptor is easily removable, easy to made, no change to PSU or PCB wiring, no soldering

works for 4+ years 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.