cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JL01
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Installing Photosmart Premium c309a series wireless on iMac and Laptop-Vista

HP Recommended

I have tried to install the HP software for my newly bought HP Photosmart Premium C309series through my  wireless network that runs through my Mac Time Capsule.

The HP printer does finds the (two) networks I have created, and prints sucessfully the Testreport wireless network.

I have tried to enter the IP address generated on the summary of that report, in my browser, without succes.

I note that more people have problems installing this type of printer through a wireless network.

Who can help. Rgs and thanks,

JL01

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Wi-Fi-Guy
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since you mentioned that the printer detected two networks from your Apple Time Capsule, I have to assume you have enabled the guest network in your Time Capsule.  If so, make sure that you are connecting the printer to the main network and not the guest network.

The other item to check is to make sure that the Time Capsule Wireless Radio Mode is for 802.11a/n - 802.11b/g.

Finally, tell me what type of encryption you have running on your network (if any).

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
JL01
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Putting all systems onto the "main" network and not the guest network has done the trick! Thanks for that.

That brings me to a follow up point, I did not do this yet, as Apple suggested me to put the printer on the guest network as I the iMac and laptop and Time Capsule are all wireless .n speed, while the printer is .g. So I did not want to loose speed. After installation, can I re-adjust the printer and place it on the guest network, while continue to use it from the iMac and Vista laptop that are on the main network?

Thanks a again!

J

0 Kudos
Wi-Fi-Guy
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, you'll need to keep the printer on the same wireless network as the computers unless your Apple Airport base-station is a dual-band simultaneous model.  in this case, you can connect the computers to the 5 GHz channel and the printer to the 2.4 GHz channel.

The guest network provides additional security by isolating any devices connected to it from the computers on the main network.  It's this reason why the printer was not detected from your computers.

In general, attaching an 802.11g device to an 802.11n network does not slow down the network in a measurable way.  At idle, our wireless printers use very little network bandwidth (approximately 600 bytes/sec/computer or about 0.024% of the available 802.11n network bandwidth on a 20 MHz channel).

What really slows down a modern wireless-network is the presence of an older 802.11b device in the area.  If you are concerned about performance, don't use older 802.11b equipment on the same channel as your main network.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation