cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Poochy
4 4 0 0
Message 131 of 149
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Laptop turns on off on off on off--wont stop!!

AwwwwwTy so much for replying....Ihave had it analyzed by a professional ($40.00) and they it was the motherboard! I have always bought insurance for "after warranty" and of course it was out a few months ago! Checked Hp for new one, as I too am dedicated Hp user, now not to sure what to do. Was hoping to get one with word. They want good money and No word!!! Love my tablet but it is NOT mY LAPTOP? AGAIN THANKS for all the help/answers.

0 Kudos
joshaddair
1 1 0 0
Message 132 of 149
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

OKay So I did this. Take the MB Battery out left it set over an hour and put it back in and turned it on. well I came on and is still running as far as I know. BUT I have no screen. None at all. Any Suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tumbleweed_Biff
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 133 of 149
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Handed a laptop today to see if I could figure out what was wrong (DV6700), ended up finding this thread. Exact same symptoms: Constant attempts to power up, immediately off and then back on again a few seconds later: repeat ad nauseum.

Obviously a widespread problem. Lots of complaints of "HP Quality". Perhaps, but I think that AMD/Nvidia share a heavy portion of the blame. It looks like the main problem is the Nvidia chip desoldering itself from the board. Yes, HP could have (should have) updated the machines with a firm contact copper heatsink for all the returns and eliminated the transfer pad as soon as the problem was known. But at the same time it seems obvious that the chips were providing more heat than spec'd. I am going to take a stab at reseating the Nvidia chip and using a copper shim and Arctic Silver 5 for cooling. Might replace the fan module as well as that could also be a factor: fans fail, causing systems to overheat. AMD has always been behind Intel in dealing with heat. For many years, if Intels start getting hot, they automatically throttle back speed to keep from exceeding temp threshholds. If AMD/nVidia had done that with these, then you wouldn't have the problem of the chip cooking the solder.  That said, I have long used AMD's in desktops and I use really good cooling. All my laptos have been Intels though.

Anyway, this is why I avoid the HP consumer machines and go for the business class machines instead (ProBooks and EliteBooks). The customer service is far better than with the consumer line and the things are built better. I won't buy a Pavilion, but my Elitebook will stand up against the toughest competition - even a ThinkPad.

0 Kudos
Tumbleweed_Biff
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 134 of 149
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Having just completed disassembly of the machine in question, I found that there is one more part of these boards which could be of significant note. Also cooled by a heat transfer pad are two transistors on the other side of the processor. If these are overheating they are highly likely to cause the on and off issue, in fact, that is right up their alley, much more likely than the nVidia chip. So if anyone is looking at rying this repair, be sure to also shim those.

0 Kudos
kywildcat
Level 2
18 14 0 0
Message 135 of 149
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

why wasnt my notebook recalled this is just bs, these are very expensive notebooks. Gonna have to do something little over a year old and its basically a pile of junk. wow really HP a $ 700 computer 

0 Kudos
kywildcat
Level 2
18 14 0 0
Message 136 of 149
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Nice 40 minute documentary on how to clean your fan:smileyfrustrated:

hp pavillion dv6 i7 cleaning fan.mp4 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VMqrudLhJA

0 Kudos
Jacko007
1 1 0 0
Message 137 of 149
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

this problem is driving me nuts I have two hp working on wiyh the same problem. My only ption now is to check the gpu but I have no heat gun. Is there any thing that I can use as a substitute?

0 Kudos
masixole
2 2 0 0
Message 138 of 149
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

It worked for me CMOS battery was the problem replace and let it get power then you ready to go

0 Kudos
ChrisBel
2 2 0 0
Message 139 of 149
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Seems like cold soldering (Bridge) Need to warm up up to 200C for some seconds with heating gun.

0 Kudos
hplou
2 2 0 0
Message 140 of 149
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

same thing with my hp pavilion elite e9120y desktop.. able to turn on the power but turns itself off after few seconds and repeats nonstop until i unplug the power cord. i just replaced the motherboard and powersupply. both new and same replacements. i dont know what the cause could be. please help.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation