cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Champinhon
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

MISSING - Chipset Driver for HP Compaq 6200 Pro

HP Recommended

The chipset driver for the HP Compaq 6200 Pro is missing (windows 7). I ran the softpaq and downloaded all drivers, but in "device manager" I have a "SM Bus Controller" that doesn't have any drivers.

If I go to intel.com and run the auto-detect, it finds that the chipset driver needs updating. If I run that it install all the drivers and the unknow "SM Bus Controller" is installed correctly.

HP, please update and upload to the softpaq system the proper drivers for this device. I have 1000+ machines that I need to update/manage

Thanks 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
richard429
Level 4
103 99 4 4
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Are you using SDM and SMM or are you using SSM only?

Note that in SDM, the Intel Chipest drivers ( SP 50888 ) is marked as not being SSM compliant.

THere is a column in SDM that shows the status of SSM compliance for all SoftPaqs listed.

This means that although SDM can download it, it must be deployed manually.

SDM calls SSM to install the SoftPaqs that is downloads.

Without SSM compliance, it will not download the CVA file, nor will it install automatically.

When I have a chance, I will invetigate if the compliance flag is in error.

Thanks,

Richard

I work for HP but am not a company spokesperson. Participation in the community forums is voluntary.

0 Kudos
Champinhon
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried both ways; with SDM/SSM and with only SDM on the affected model. 

As you will see, the driver you mentioned is not even listed in the SDM. I have a feeling that this is a newer problem, as it is only affecting our new imaged machines.

See the attachement.

0 Kudos
richard429
Level 4
103 99 4 4
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I was using SDM to locate the intel drivers.

Check the configuration settings in SDM.
You may need to select Win 7 Pro & Win 7 enterprise OS' s

It may be this evening before I can recheck it on my system.

Can you tell me if this is a 6200 or some variation?

Thanks,

Richard
I work for HP but am not a company spokesman.
Participation in the forums is voluntary.
0 Kudos
Champinhon
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Richard,

Yes, when I ask to show all drivers for that specific model, the SP50888 does appear in the list. But my question is, how come the SDM system did not detect that this driver is needed for my machine the same way it does for all other drivers?

Also, I use SDM/SSM for updating 23 other hardware in our environment and the chipset is detect and installed automatically for all other systems. Can you please check and see if this can be fixed, as installing this chipset manually to hundreds of machines is not practical.

Just confirming that the model of the hardware reads - HP Compaq 6200 Pro Small Form Factor

Thank you 

0 Kudos
richard429
Level 4
103 99 4 4
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First -

I do not know why SDM shows some systems need chipset drivers and the 6200 does not.

This may be related to the catalog (database) that is uses.

Next -

Among the requirements for SSM to deploy a SoftPaq, is the package being installed MUST have a detail file.

Due to the fact that a detail file for Intel chipset drivers of that model year did not exist, the SoftPaq is not SSM compliant.

The purpose of a detail file is that it is something that is unique to a package - whether it be an application or driver.

It allows SSM to determine if the system is already up to date - and perform an installation ONLY on out of date packages.

Many detail files for drivers are .DLLs

Intel does not have DLLs for the chipsets in that timeframe.

They have started creating dummy detail files for HP that we have been packaging with chipset drivers in the last year or two.

The result is that SP50888 does not have a CVA file that will permit installation by SSM.

The SSM user guide does provide an Appendix D describing how to create a custom CVA file.

I am working on a writeup that would provide a solution for you - and document the associated CAVEATS.

Providing the custom CVA file is relative easy for me.  Documenting it so that users other than yourself recognize and accept the caveats will take a few days as I am doing this outside of normal office hours.

Thanks,

Richard

I work for HP but am not a company spokesperson.   Participation in the community forums is voluntary.

0 Kudos
Champinhon
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Richards for looking into this and trying to have it fixed. I'll check back in on Monday to see how are things. Do you think you will have it by then?

0 Kudos
richard429
Level 4
103 99 4 4
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have not completed a write up that would benefit everyone but have sent you a PM with the custom CVA text.

This should work for you provided the following instructions are followed.

1 - Run this ONCE and ONLY ONCE on a new OS deployment.

reason - because the file name in [DetailFileInformation] does not exist ( a dummy file name ), then SSM will not find the file and attempt to install the SoftPaq EVERY TIME it is run.  You do not want your chipset drivers re-installed on every system, every time SSM is run.

2 - Change the attributes of the custom CVA file to ReadOnly.

reason - SSM attempts to download the most recent CVA file every time it is run.

SSM has  command line flag to avoid downloading a newer CVA file, but I use it so rarely, I often forget to use the flag those few times I should and then spend extra time determining why it did not work as expected.

It is easier to recognize that a custom CVA file is custom for a reason and write protect it.

I hope this helps as a interim solution.

The document I began writing is looking more like a white paper than a simple help file and is not ready to share.

If you have any questions, please ask.

I will do what I can to help.

Thanks,

Richard

I work for HP but am not a company spokesperson.   Participation in the community forums is voluntary.

0 Kudos
Champinhon
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Richard. That worked perfectly.

The file SP50888 contains the old chipset version 9.2.0.1011. I ran the Intel utility, and there is a new version 10.0.24 available for that machine. Do you think the "HP driver team" would create a new SP for that driver? Chances are that this version contains all the necessary information to be installed using SSM.

See attachment. Thanks again

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation