cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rjtrooty
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Microsoft Not Genuine

HP Recommended
Compact Presario CQ60
Microsoft Windows XP (64-bit)

I transferred a disk drive from my original Compaq Presario CQ60 to new one because there was something wrong with the original one. The new one was working fine for a while until all of a sudden started receiving message that my microsoft windows is not genuine. Never received this message on my original laptop because I bought it whole. Any ideas on my this is happenening. I suspect maybe a hardware discrepancy between the new laptop and the new disk drive.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,281 119,458 19,519 29,825
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can't transfer an OEM operating system from one PC to another, which is why you are getting that error.

License Transfers

OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=q7CEbN2yHpJ

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation